Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

driving record(job related)

so i went for a job interview today and it went pretty well. i think i have a good chance of getting it. only negative is he asked me about my driving record, and i was honest with him, i got a owi 2 years ago. he copied my license and said he was going to have his insurance check my record out. so its either yay or nay. my question is has anyone else here ever had a similar experience where you had some tickets or a owi on your record and you didnt get the job because of it. i dont have any points, just the owi and a speeding ticket(not recent) on my record. thoughts?

I had the same thing happened. It's up to their insurance carrier whether you are insurable or not and won't cost them a lot of money(premium). I have 2 points and the owner said their insurance said I was ok. Mine happened over 5 years ago but it still shows on my record.

get rid of that question that always comes up,and just add your drivers ID number to your resume.if you have the drivers info included it looks better and saves you the tension of knowing it was a good interview but that question is coming up
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

90% chance of a 'no' answer.
    most can't insure you period.
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

If you drive a company vehicle, your license is as important as any other certification, experience or tool. Chances of getting hired are slim unless your qualifications leave all others in the dust.
    If it doesn't go easy, you are not using a big enough hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by GetYourShineBox View Post
    so i went for a job interview today and it went pretty well. i think i have a good chance of getting it. only negative is he asked me about my driving record, and i was honest with him, i got a owi 2 years ago. he copied my license and said he was going to have his insurance check my record out. so its either yay or nay. my question is has anyone else here ever had a similar experience where you had some tickets or a owi on your record and you didnt get the job because of it. i dont have any points, just the owi and a speeding ticket(not recent) on my record. thoughts?
    owi stay on the record for 5 years. I have one. 4 years old. I got my job by being up front and letting the employer know that the extra that he pays for high risk will pay off with my employment. have confidence and you will get the job.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACJOEK View Post
    If you drive a company vehicle, your license is as important as any other certification, experience or tool. Chances of getting hired are slim unless your qualifications leave all others in the dust.
    I'm getting ready to take the test with the locals here where I live. I have 2 points for reckless driving that won't drop off for another year or so. Will that affect me getting on board with the UA? One non union potential employer told me their carrier said I was ok and I'm waiting to take their test as well. If I score high enough I will be invited to their apprenticeship program.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACJOEK View Post
    thats depressing

Red face

or you could propose for example, to take a couple $ less an hour to make up for your liability costs??

its all a numbers game so however you wanna work it.
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

Depending on the insurance provider and the employer, its pretty much a no hire for a DUI/OUI or a vehicular homicide in the last 3 to 5 years.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by michigan1 View Post
    or you could propose for example, to take a couple $ less an hour to make up for your liability costs??

its all a numbers game so however you wanna work it.
    yeah the last interview i went on i told him that if it turned out they had to pay extra i would take less pay to make up the difference. really i dont expect to get a job driving my own van right away anyways because i just finished school 3 months ago and have no hvac "job" related experience. it would have been nice but i expect to start out on an install crew,as an apprentice or in maintenance. it still sucks knowing this is going to shadow me for a number of years.

Do speeding tickets interfere with hiring as well? Or, does it just drive the premium up?

Some places have 'options' with 'added' pay for driving your own, due to the insurance issues.
    I say 'added' pay because it actually is likely you'll be paying more in vehicle costs than you'll get paid; however, if you can keep your record clean long enough to get clearance on the company insurance it may be worth it.

No offense, but I asked my wife what OUI is, she guessed - Obviously Under the Influence?
    Last edited by crab master; 10-05-2009 at 11:03 PM.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast