Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new GMV95 install - combustion air intake connection

Hi all and thanks in advance for any help.

My installer just completed my new HVAC install.

The furnace+blower are in a pretty air tight HVAC room. The return duct from the apt feeds into this room and is not directly connected to the furnace return opening.

However, with my previous furnace, the combustion air intake used to be connected with a PVC pipe directly to the unit - here, the installer left this PVC pipe feeding the room and didn't connect it directly to the unit.

Is that a problem or should it be fine?

My electric water heater is also in that room.

Thanks much!

Pics might get you more help.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticmonkey777 View Post
    Pics might get you more help.
    Thanks for your response - please find attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pic not that great. If you are using the utility room as a giant return air plenum, then not connecting the air intake for the burner compartment to the outside will be a problem. Don't you have a building inspection department in your area. Not connecting the return air to the furnace would flunk an inspection where I'm at.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Pic not that great. If you are using the utility room as a giant return air plenum, then not connecting the air intake for the burner compartment to the outside will be a problem. Don't you have a building inspection department in your area. Not connecting the return air to the furnace would flunk an inspection where I'm at.
    Ah.. I didn't realise that it would fail the inspection. I am actually not sure of the code in NYC but I can ask my installer - he said that the new GMV95s don't have a place for an air intake - I was a bit suprised since I do see the opening btu deferred to his knowledge.

You are right - the utility room is used as a giant air return plenum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkgtech View Post
    Ah.. I didn't realise that it would fail the inspection. I am actually not sure of the code in NYC but I can ask my installer - he said that the new GMV95s don't have a place for an air intake - I was a bit suprised since I do see the opening btu deferred to his knowledge.

You are right - the utility room is used as a giant air return plenum.

Thanks
    Does any NYC contractor on this website know whether it is against code please? That would really help me out. Or should I just ask my installer to come back and fix it?

install instructions i found on line show it as being a 1 or 2 pipe heater.

we have NEVER installed a 90% furnace with 1 pipe, don't want to be sucking contaminated house air through a condensing furnace.......

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    install instructions i found on line show it as being a 1 or 2 pipe heater.

we have NEVER installed a 90% furnace with 1 pipe, don't want to be sucking contaminated house air through a condensing furnace.......
    But it is a 95% furnace though.. Goodman GMV950453bx

Quote Originally Posted by rkgtech View Post
    But it is a 95% furnace though.. Goodman GMV950453bx

same install as 90% furnaces going back over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    same install as 90% furnaces going back over 20 years.

OK, I will call him and let him know that it might fail inspection. Is there any danger associated with keeping it this way? To the furnace or to my household?

Thanks much!

Depending on the pressure differential in the closet, you could end up with nuisance lockouts and in extreme cases, draw CO from the heat exchanger back into the return air and then send it into the living area. This is a life hazard in my book and should be addressed before operating the unit.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Depending on the pressure differential in the closet, you could end up with nuisance lockouts and in extreme cases, draw CO from the heat exchanger back into the return air and then send it into the living area. This is a life hazard in my book and should be addressed before operating the unit.
    yikes!! thanks much! I will get this fixed right away.

id like to see pics from the front and sides of this install to get a better picture of what you are talking about..maybe he used one of the pipes for makeup air ??need more info and pics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast