Hmm trane xe1200 compressor on the blink

The indoor air handler runs, but my Trane XE1200 compressor does not start. It tries to start, but buzzes for about 1 second and quits, and then retries about once per minute.

This happened for up to one day before I realized and shut it down. Could something else have been damaged by letting it go for a day?

Luckily the weather turned cool this week, because I'm in no position to buy a new compressor. Can you give me some tips on what to check with a meter? I know how to check the capacitance of the capacitor, but what else? In what order should I check what? Can you point me to a mechanical diagram (not a schematic) of this or a similar compressor? When I know the real problem, I'll be OK with hiring a professional because I'll understand if he's honest and I'll know what my money is going for. Thanks.

I'm new here but i think DIY is out of the question.

Knowing how to use your meter is great, but I'm afraid any information we could give you could be potentially dangerous, some things you might have to check would require voltage to the unit. A set of refrigeration gauges may also be needed.

The best thing to do is to hire a professional off the bat since you know the simple things like the t-stat is on and the breaker isn't tripped.

Just make sure you ask a lot of questions to make sure your technician of choice can give you reasonable answers and demonstrates a strong technical knowledge of the components in your system.

Always remember, you get what you pay for, so be careful trying to find a good deal.

I am affraid that we can not help you. We do not give out advice that can put an untrained person in a potentialy dangerous situation

As stated we cant give DIY help.... but if ya take care of it quickly a service tech could probably diagnose it simply. Sounds like the compressor isnt dead yet..... but he could tall ya. If you leave it like that... you could kill the compressor.
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

There are a couple of things (aside from compressor failure) which can cause that problem - have a tech (not a salesman) check it.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"