Verify Efficiency

I am having an Amana AMV95 and ASX 14 installed next week. Is it possible to verify the furnace efficiency, how is this done, and is this routine practice? How else do I know what I am getting? My contractor said they don't routinely do it, something about they don't have much control over it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I am having an Amana AMV95 and ASX 14 installed next week. Is it possible to verify the furnace efficiency, how is this done, and is this routine practice? How else do I know what I am getting? My contractor said they don't routinely do it, something about they don't have much control over it. Thanks.

To verify the efficiency of the equipment you can ask the contractor for an AHRI certification #. To verify the furnace is running at 95% you can have them use a combustion analyzer to verify efficiency. The air conditioner could be verified with the EER rating and not the SEER rating.

Should I expect my contractor to do a combustion analysis? How complicated is it? Thanks?

they can also figure it out (for the furnace) by clocking the meter, using static pressure readings to determine airflow, and measuring temp rise. It's pretty much a pain, but if that's what you want..... Or, you can just take AHRI's word for it - they know what they're talking about. Same thing for the A/C. Go to the AHRI website and do a search for the model numbers.