Thread: McQuay WSC 063

McQuay WSC 063

Hello all,
    I am in the middle of putting a McQuay wSC 063 chiller back together. Had to rebuild the high speed assembly. The assembly showed signs of high temperature and it looked like we were not getting good oil flow by the thrust pump. We took vibration test and sent to McQuay that said it was out of acceptable range. Anothe chiller on site is showing the same signs of the one we are working on. Has anyone heard of any issues with the high speed assemblies in the Model WSC 063? Thanks for any input........
    never too old to learn new tricks!

It's possible the vibration is not comming from the high speeds, could be Impeller was out of ballance, need to make sure your runout and endthrust is set correctly. Also high speed assy. will tarnish dark brown and looks like it over heated around the bearings and thrust pump that ok. if you were not getting enough oil thru the bearings the bearings would have torn up.

The runout and back thrust looked good. The thrust bearing measured 27 out and McQuay said it should have been 16 max. Rebuilt the high speed and it checked 15 out. The high speed had alot of play in it when we tore it down. McQuay sent the rebuild parts under warranty pretty quick. Kinda make me wonder have they seen this issue in these models before.
    never too old to learn new tricks!

We wiped one out a few years back.

It was a OEM inside delta soft start. The soft start was set by OEM techs for less than a one second ramp up, which dimmed the lights and tripped the shut trip breaker. The oil and the iron would get cold, and the operator would start it as soon as the control would allow. Cold starts wiped it out, but not right away.

When I got a hold of it, the first thing I did was extend the ramp time on the soft start.
    All the starting problems went away.
    Shortly after, there was a recall on the inside delta soft starts and it was changed to a conventional soft start configuration. By then the damage was done, and a couple years later the high speed locked up. We also changed the control feed to a separate source, other than the starter panel breaker. That way, the breaker could trip but the control and the oil heater would stay up.

In my opinion, as well as a trusted OEM friend's, the cold starts ultimately wiped it out.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Quote Originally Posted by jhook View Post
    The runout and back thrust looked good. The thrust bearing measured 27 out and McQuay said it should have been 16 max. Rebuilt the high speed and it checked 15 out. The high speed had alot of play in it when we tore it down. McQuay sent the rebuild parts under warranty pretty quick. Kinda make me wonder have they seen this issue in these models before.
    I am assuming the WSC 063 has the thrust on the rear of thehigh speed shaft? The old ones had it behind the impeller and would run a high delta oil temp. Has the machine been surging for some reason? The 63, 79 and 87 all have the same high speed in them now. What is the net oil pressure you have been running? Oil cooler temps?
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

do you work for mcq stickerhead!

LMAO, ummm nooo!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by captinsano View Post
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by captinsano View Post
    No, but I have converted and repaired a bunch!
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

FFFFFFyou