Hmm Indoor coil vibrates loudly in heat mode.

Hello,

What can cause the indoor coil on a heat pump to vibrate loudly when in heat mode?

We had our leaking indoor coil replaced a few weeks ago. Last night was the first time that it was cold enough outside (52F) to use the heat pump in the heat mode.

The system sounds normal at first, but over a 60 second period the indoor coil / housing begins to vibrate louder and louder. It vibrates at the same frequency as the sound coming from the compressor in the outdoor unit.

I think it is the coil / housing (and not the blower) because the instant that the compressor shuts off, the indoor coil stops vibrating completely while the blower continues running at the same speed, but very quietly.

Also, the system has been working normally in the cooling mode. No unusual noises. It also works normally, quietly in all blower modes and in the gas heat mode.

We have a Goodman air-source heat pump (GSH130421). The indoor coil is CHPF3642D6.

The unit is suspended from the floor joists under the bedroom/hall. The vibrations are transmitted to the floor and walls in that area and is actually a little louder (if you stand in that spot) than the sound of the outdoor unit, which is just outside the bedroom wall.

Thanks for your help.

John

It sounds as if there is a restriction in the metering device in the heating mode. Make sure whoever installed the new indoor coil used a TXV rated for a heat pump application.

Sounds like something is going on that in the refrgerant cycle in heating. Call the contractor who replaced the coil. They should come out at no charge to check it for. The charge could be off or as stated above a restriction causing too high a head pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by bothomas View Post
    Call the contractor who replaced the coil. They should come out at no charge to check it for.
    How ever. If it turns out to be not related to anything they did. There would be a charge then.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Correct.... Sorry to be misleading,,,,,,,,I was assuming.. You know what those assumations will get ya!

LOL...

Just wanted to remind the OP.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I have called my contractor. It usually takes him a day or two to get back to me.

Right after he put in the replacement coil, I came home, tried the system in heat mode, and noticed the vibration. I called the contractor and told him about the problem. He came out again, said he could feel some vibration but that it was probably because the outdoor temperature was too high, causing pressure in the system to be too high.

Last night, with the temperature outside at 52F, I tried the system again in heat mode. It sounded and vibrated exactly the same as the first time, so outdoor temperature was not the cause - or not the only cause.

John