+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any one "Going Green" with a successful campaign?

Post Likes

Question Any one "Going Green" with a successful campaign?

This is my first post and I would like to say Thanks for the forum!
    I am the accts. manager for a medium sized commercial refrigeration contractor in Phoenix. I just returned from Comfortech and there was a fairly diverse offering of what would be considered customary but "Green" was represented with seminars and offerings.
    We have been contemplating entering this market and was wondering if anyone has had luck, if so how much and if contemplating such as we are what your thoughts are about taking your first steps.
    Again, thanks and look forward to any input.

Post Likes
    I am also interested in going "green" w/ things like variable speed orbus motor retrofits and ecm evap motors. The sdk skip defrost controls on electric defrost also have a quik payback for customers. Have a few sdk in service but believe most money could be saved by varied speed on evaps when compressor is off and load is low. Am working on a control setup to accomplish this. Its good to see our industry advancing from the 70's.

Post Likes
    the company I work for in mississippi has been installing and sevicing geothermal systems since 2001. in the last three years we have gone from installing mayber 2 to 5 systems a year to 25 last year and around that number this year. I spend about 4 days a week just working on geo system's wether it be service or install and the maney is good.

Post Likes
    We have had widely variable success with the whole "Going Green" thing. We bought a company that was the area's largest geothermal installer and servicer. This was back in 2002. Up until 2007, we were getting more and more geo's. Since the economic downturn, we have went from 20-30 new installs a year, loop and all, to only 7 so far this year. In my opinion, geothermal still pays well and is a great thing to get into as long as you can do it for cheap and already know the ins and outs of it. Luckily we got the education along with the company we bought, so we made a good profit. If we had to hire someone to size the loops and oversee us, that would be a different story.

Post Likes
    what do you mean specifically about going green? I have to keep in touch with the green industry and there is a future in smart buildings and VSDs. my company now regularly gets requests for geothermal work. review some of the programs your utility company offers, usually they partner with contractors to reduce energy loads. Around chicago, comed offers incentives to contractors if they assist clients in installing new systems.

Post Likes
    I get the "going green" idea as it relates to ground/water source heat pumps. Shouldn't air source heat pumps also be considered "going green"? I realize gshps are a little more efficient but its the same process just a different heat transfer medium.

Post Likes
    Going "green" might be a strategy to differentiate yourself from competition in a crowded market. A few years ago we had a key customer who required us to become ISO 14001-compliant (we do some manufacturing), and so, in addition to the "green products that we offer, we also have a corporate environmental management program that we adhere to.

Post Likes
    Some ideas for going green could include products like adding heat recovery to new or existing systems. And I see there are companies like hotspot energy that build air-source heat pumps with hot water recovery built-in and they also offer some kind of a kit that converts a std. AC to a dual condenser unit for pool heating.

Post Likes
    a big and easy thing to do is install CO2 sensors to roof top units.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pholmes350 View Post
    I get the "going green" idea as it relates to ground/water source heat pumps. Shouldn't air source heat pumps also be considered "going green"? I realize gshps are a little more efficient but its the same process just a different heat transfer medium.
    Big problem with air-source is they often get installed with electric backup heat. I think the industry is really lame for only promoting geothermal. Basically all you get is constant COP with a ground source heat pump with a performance around the 50degree mark of an Air Source heat pump. (and no defrost cycle)
    So in my case, I save $321 a year switching from 92% efficient gas furnace only to the same gas furnace plus a 14SEER HP. This is called a Dual fuel Heat pump with Natural gas backup heat. If I switched to Geothermal unit with more constant COP or coefficient of performance, that would only save me an additional $85 a year.

Here is how I saw it:

Spend 3000 for a 14 SEER heat pump system to supplement my existing 92% gas furnace and reduce my heating bill from 928/yr to 607/yr. Payback in 9 years and I get AC in the deal and get to be snooty about how I'm 53% more efficient than my 92% efficient natural gas furnace neighbors..

Or

Hmm, spend 10,000 for 4 100ft bore holes, 4000 for a Geothermal heat exchanger, pumps and 800ft of tubing and reduce my heating bill from 928/yr to 522/yr

Payback in 34 years and I get to be snooty about how I'm 16% more efficient than my air source dual fuel heat pump neighbors.

Post Likes
    Hi Zootjeff
    I was looking at your post on gshp's and I think more can be said for them as I think it is the best thing I have put in my house.

1. There is nothing outside to look at or make noise.
    2. With everything inside, out of the elements it will last longer and much less chance of vandalism.
    3. With my old hp I had hot and cold spots in my house, with my waterfurnace every room in my house is the same temperature because there are no surges of hot air and the fan runs very low even with the compressor off.
    4. with no fire burning or heat strips there is much less of a chance of my house catching on fire.
    5. I save about 350 dollars a year on hot water that is a byproduct of the heating and cooling.
    6. My cooling in summer was cut 60% about 450 dollars less. (Went from 12.5 seer to 30 see)
    7. I should have waited one more year as now the fed. gov. will give you a 30% tax credit on the total install price.
    8. 40% of the cost will not lose value the loop will last a 100 years.

Post Likes
    We're kind of pushing the green initiative on out Removed Link page and we've also created a whole division for energy audits and green energy. Seems to be going well and increasing ever so steadily.
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 11-02-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Removed Link -Non Pro - Please read the sites rules - TY

Post Likes
    I have been in the HVAC industire for years now, mostly selling Air to Air gas furnaces and heat pumps, Over the last 4 years I have gotten completly away fron air to air and 100% in to geothermal.

I can tell you that Geothermal is the best way that any home owner can go If "Green" is in there feature. With the real estate market taking a dumb, Home owners are now makeing there home more efficient, Geothermal through the DOE and fedral gov. Geothermal IS the more efficient and most ecanomical way to heat and cool your home, Also providing hot water.

GEOTHERMAL IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Going green is costly; however, many things can be done to recieve a good ROI. If the ROI is there within 2 years do it otherwise wait until there is a payback. Example: 1 1/2 HP motors put on a VSD will give a good return but putting a smaller motor will take too long to get you money back from the hardware and installation. The only reason companys are going green is to add to the bottom line, not for the enviornment.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in