your opinion on gas hot water system

Will do the Oil to Gas conversion soon for heating system.

in the meantime, we need a new hot water system as well. Which one you prefer in the following options (we in CT very cold in winter):

1. gas tankless; after read this article,http://www.foodforthought.net/learn-...-tankless.html, i am afraid of the climate affect.

2. indirect gas fired hot water tank;

3. gas fired hot water tank.

thanks,

If it were my house, #2. Simple way to do it, won't run out of hot water.

Those demand units scare me. More maintenance, lots to go wrong. May take some getting used to vs your old tank.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    If it were my house, #2. Simple way to do it, won't run out of hot water.

Those demand units scare me. More maintenance, lots to go wrong. May take some getting used to vs your old tank.
    Thank you for your reply. boiler is mainly for heating entire home. during the summer, use it to heat a small tank, is it too big for that purpose?

The boiler shouldn't have to run for very long to just heat the tank. Just be sure to have heat traps installed in the piping to prevent heat creep, or have flow checks installed to prevent the house from heating in the summer months.Be sure to have a Taco zone control panel with zone1 (DHW) priority in your controls plan.
    The boiler sizing shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gassyplumber View Post
    The boiler shouldn't have to run for very long to just heat the tank. Just be sure to have heat traps installed in the piping to prevent heat creep, or have flow checks installed to prevent the house from heating in the summer months.Be sure to have a Taco zone control panel with zone1 (DHW) priority in your controls plan.
    The boiler sizing shouldn't be a problem.
    nice to have experienced professional here.

Can I ask them to install boiler and tank in different rooms? The reason is I want to install gas boiler in where gas is coming and easy to vent (power vent) to avoid long gas line and vent inside the house. For the tank, I think it may be a good idea to install it in where close to kitchen and bathroom.

My preference is to keep the mechanical room all together, in one well lit room.
    To run the piping to a remote indirect tank location may incur a larger cost to install and if not properly insulated can radiate a substantial amount of heat and therefore not be as efficient. You may be able to run a hot water recirc line these can be equipped with a timer run small circulator to make up for the tank being further away from main points of use,especially in a large house.