Thread: Installation quality

Post Likes

Installation quality

Hi everybody.

A little background: We're looking to get our furnace and AC replaced fairly soon.

Everything i read online about brand X vs Brand Y, somebody invariably says "it's not the equipment, but the quality of installation that matters most"

Ok, i agree with that. However, what makes a good quality installation vs a bad one? I'm looking for specifics. What should i ask the contractors about how they do this and that? What should i ask the references about?

Basically, how do i know, before i hire somebody, who's going to do a good job, and who's not.

Thanks,
    Mike

Post Likes

Ask for 100% satisfaction!

You should get 2 or 3 quotes and go with gut feeling about who you are going to choose.
    1) Don't shop based on price!
    2) Make sure they are pulling all permits!
    3) Do they have a 100% customer satisfaction!
    4) Are their employees paid hourly! (don't want guys rushing)
    5) Ask for pictures of previous jobs!
    6) Look at companies reputation in the community!
    7) BBB!
    8) References! (asked for at least 4 references of previous customers)
    9) Apperance! (do they look professional)
    10) Is everything on proposal clearly laid out and easy to understamd!

Good Luck!
    Do it right the first time.

Post Likes
    Are they willing to do load calcs to size the equipment properly with a manual D to size the duct work to the equipment ?

As for reference's ask for present customers as well as past customers along with names and numbers and call them, if possible as if they wouldn't mind if you could see there work.

Ask what kind of warranty they include with there installation above and beyound the manufactures warranty.

Ask your friends and family on who they might reconmmend

Be sure when you compare quites your comparing apples to apples otherwise your not going to get comparable equipment or what you thought you were getting from one dealer to the other.

IF your hurry is always best otherwise you could make a bad decision when under the gun to buy.

Post Likes

Talking A good install

First, there are no guarantees, unless you go with a Carrier dealer as "Dash" will tell you or another contractor that is confidant in his work and will give you a "satisfaction" guarantee. Otherwise, you need to pay close attention to the person who represents the company you will be dealing with. His main concern should be the size of the unit being installed as per a proper load calculation and if your duct work is sized correctly for "that" unit and your house. If he meets that criteria, then his company will probably do a quality install. Remember, this type of service will cost you money up front, but will pay dividends down the road with an elevated comfort level and fewer service calls. There are no free lunches. He should ask you what "your" main concerns are and what is important to "you". If not I would cross him off the list. There are good companys out there, be patient and you'll find one. Good luck. ibis1

Post Likes
    you should fill out your profile. you may get help on here.

Post Likes

Vero Beach, Fl - Goshen, NY and Lake Norman, NC
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    That’s a great piece!
    “Your biggest risk is not taking one..."

Post Likes
    1. Word of mouth from multiple sources. I'd even talk to the senior counter sales guys at the main HVAC supply store in your area. You might even want to call a couple building inspectors.
    2. Length of time in business and overall reputation.
    3. If the contractor doesn't start by doing a thorough load analysis then they're a "hack" so send them packing.
    4. References and photos supplied from the contractor are of little value. They'll be "cherry picked". It would be better to ask the contractor for their last 2-3 jobs then visit those homeowners.
    5. Be careful with BBB. A contractor with complaints may be better then one without any. (ex: a contractor without complaints could be new and doing only a fraction of the business of a long established contractor). If there are complaints look for a track record of resolving them.
    6. NATE, ACCA and other professional membership might be a tie breaker but they're basically just slogans.
    7. A contractor that demonstrates that they are looking out for your best interests and thereby earns trust. (largely gut feel)
    8. Ask for the "game plan". I wouldn't interrogate a contractor with a checklist of technical questions but I would want to understand their game plan. Learn the basics of HVAC so you can have a meaningful discussion with them.
    9. If you're dealing with a salesman, then find out who will be installing/overseeing the installation of your system. (ie Training and experience level). Try and meet the installation team by going to a current job site.
    10. Is Angies List still around? There are local discusion forums at Craig's List - try to get some opinions there.
    11. A low ball price is usally a warning sign. However a high price is not assurance of a good contractor.
    12. I would also tend to avoid Sears, Home Crapo or Lowes. There are exceptions, but usually the worst of the trades associate with these stores. (beside that the prices are usually higher)

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. That's a big help, but i'm still not totally clear.

That "how to select a contractor" checklist is very helpful.

I've gotten 6 quotes so far, from companies both big and small. NOBODY has done load calcs. They all just checked the existing size, and are all quoting a direct replacement of similar size. They all did ask how well the current system works. The current system works fairly well (on the coldest days it runs probably 80+% of the time)

Yes, i definitely avoided stores that also do "installation". I always avoid them.

I know references are "cherry-picked" which is why i wanted to ask references specific questions about how a particular portion of the installation was done. Even if i ask for the last 3 installs, and if possible, visit them, what am i looking for? Would a bad installation "look" bad?

tinner73 - i purposely didn't mention where i'm located, in case one or more of the contractors i quoted are members here, but i'll say i'm somewhere in Connecticut.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mike944 View Post

I've gotten 6 quotes so far, from companies both big and small. NOBODY has done load calcs. They all just checked the existing size, and are all quoting a direct replacement of similar size.
    Then keep shopping for a contractor. Sizing a system shouldn't be a guessing game

Would a bad installation "look" bad?
    Go to the "wall of shame" and "wall of pride" threads for examples. Keep in mind that beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone.

tinner73 - i purposely didn't mention where i'm located, in case one or more of the contractors i quoted are members here, but i'll say i'm somewhere in Connecticut.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in