Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mixing 4 ton condenser unit with a 3 ton W-coil

I have a 3 ton system cooling my shop that the compressor died on the outside unit 3-4 weeks ago. I have a pal that can get me a free 5 yr old Tempstar 4 ton condenser outside unit. Can I use that and leave the 3 ton W coil in the air handler and have it not freeze the W coil, etc?

No.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

no not at all.

but if you took that 4 ton unit and put a new 3 ton compressor in it it would work. so long as its not a heat pump. the increased condenser size will increase efficiency when used with a condenser temp based condenser fan variable speed control. i think theyre about $ retail or so.

although its not free, and if your guy isnt a pro may end up being nothing but problems forever.

id personally suggest buying a new unit with a warranty. and if your indoor unit is more than 15 yrs old replace that too. and get proper filtration and ventilation for a shop environment. most shops dont get the attention they deserve, and it ends up costing the owners 10 fold. very sad.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-27-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Removed price

After all that to make it work. A new unit would be cheaper and more reliable.
    Contractor locator map

When I say shop I do not mean a business shop. I mean a 30 x40 building behind my house on an acreage. I can turn the lights off and not go out there for weeks if I choose. How can new unit be cheaper than free?

Quote Originally Posted by philw View Post
    When I say shop I do not mean a business shop. I mean a 30 x40 building behind my house on an acreage. I can turn the lights off and not go out there for weeks if I choose. How can new unit be cheaper than free?
    By all means, have it installed. But, when it doesn't work, don't get upset.
    That "free" unit's gonna cost somebody.

I was refering to all the things gmc said to do to make it work.

If you want to install that 4 ton. Get a 4 ton indoor unit.
    Contractor locator map

It may or may not work. As long as you realize this going in, then you'll be ok. At the very least you need a txv installed on the evaporator coil. I've done strange stuff like this on occasion to help somebody out. I've had mixed results.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

is it something that will run for days at a time or only while you are working out there?

if it is only going to be used occasionally i would get as much airflow as possible and put in a txv.

if you have problems with coil icing throw on a freeze stat and time delay.

Man, tuff call. Free is free I guess. It may or may not work, for sure it won't be optimum. TXV for sure, maximized air flow on existing blower section. Still some cost involved what with refrigeration cost, TXV, freeze stat and such so how free will it be?. I wouldn't want to be the one trying to balance the charge. Guess it's your call.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

guess I need to add more details to free. My pal works as an HVAC tech at a huge appartment complex with over 6,000 units. free= free...

Quote Originally Posted by philw View Post
    guess I need to add more details to free. My pal works as an HVAC tech at a huge appartment complex with over 6,000 units. free= free...
    I'll bet ya, you won't be pals after the install.

ah, he has all day every day to do whatever he wants with no boss. Gets a new Superduty F350 diesel every 2 years, loaded with new plow and Weatherguard tool boxes. He is remodeling an old Victorian 3 story 5,000 square foot home right now. You dont do that alone with a normal job. Working for a very Rich Uncle with that much comercial property has advantages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast