Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First, I'm gonna tease y'all with a little pic where this air handler is installed. Living room closet at the top of the stairs.

Things I like about this install: 1" fitler base, float switch, new disconnect, high voltage whip, and platform.
    System is 3.5 tons and the airflow was tested at .52"w.c. delivering 1357 CFM. No supply ducts were changed on this job.

New t-stat. Customer opted for non-progamable version.

Read, read, read!

And the outdoor section. New slab, disconnect and whips.

I know I've heard the wise cracks before but this is pretty much our standard install, maybe medicore to some of you.
    Read, read, read!

Not bad, only question is why there is not a trap on the coil???

Thumbs up

Looks good! I stopped trapping at the coil years ago.

How are you getting it to drain then James???

Hmm

I don`t know, for some strange reason the water just flows down hill.

I always thought that only Sh*t flows down hill. But water too? You should have a trap if its a pull through coil.

The trap is under the platform on the line with the float switch. The uninsulated line is the overflow line (in case my float switch fails)

Oh yeah, I shouldn't take credit for this job, my main man Bennround did this one. I just took the pic.

[Edited by sarge on 10-26-2003 at 06:44 PM]
    Read, read, read!

I trap it outside. ZERO callbacks for stopped up P traps on attic installs. The drop down the wall keeps the trap clean. Standing water in the attic is nothing but a problem. Been doing the same with verticals also.

the only thing i can see a problem with trapping it out side is what will happen if a glued fitting comes apart in the attic??? Then you run the risk of flooding your evap and possible damage to the ceiling. Yet then again thats just the worst case senario.

Now this is a installation worthy of the wall of pride! My only comments are I always use a 4" filter element instead of the 1" leaf catcher( sure beats cleaning coils, and the extra profit on filter sales don't hurt either). Plus how did the total line t-stat end up on a train job?

Thumbs up

Nice install.

Questions:

1.) What brand of filter base is that?

2.) Why install a tee in the middle of the overflow drain?

3.) And as gaddy asked, how come the totaline stat?

As much as I love Trane and hate Carrier, you can't beat those little Totaline stats for price, reliablity and ease of operation. Not only do I have one in my house, I have four in a box so that I will never be without one again (unless I move more than four more times).

I also trap outdoors. Learned it from Air Design Systems in Pensacola, FL; more than 20 years ago now. Never had any reason to be sorry I did it.

If a glue joint came loose in the attic and you trapped at the coil, you most DEFINITELY will damage the ceiling. In addition to the clean trap benefit that someone mentioned, you also no longer have to deal with double traps, venting the trap, or climbing into the attic to clean the trap.

Nice looking install. What to drive to Oklahoma and put one in my house?
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast