+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dangerous, but funny

Post Likes

Dangerous, but funny

One of the guys I work with learned a lesson the hard way yesterday. He went into our lockup area where we fill our small nitrogen tanks and was messing around, a few minutes later he came out and was cussing and holding his jaw. He decided to turn on the valve on the large K tank and the braided stainless hose bullwhipped him in the face. I asked why he did that and he said " wanted to see if there was anything in the tank". His favorite thing to say is "I may look dumb, but I am highly intelligent." Not today!!!!

Post Likes
    he's freekin' lucky to come out period!
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Nothing like breaking the sound barrier against your face!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by absoair View Post
    Nothing like breaking the sound barrier against your face!
    Naw, unless the hose made a "crack" sound by itself in the air.
    At 1100 ft/sec with something that massive
    his face would have been mostly destroyed. It'd be like a heavy pistol bullet.

He's lucky it didn't take an eye out or a tooth out.

My question: would a reasonably competent HVAC guy his age have made this error?
    Was it the end of the day?

"The reasonable person will weigh all of the following factors before acting:

the foreseeable risk of harm his actions create versus the utility of his actions;
    the extent of the risk so created;
    the likelihood such risk will actually cause harm to others;
    any alternatives of lesser risk, and the costs of those alternatives."

Post Likes
    Many years ago when the tinning got slow I was working in the welding shop to pass the time. One of the higher ups boy was in there "helping" too, mostly because everyone ditched him when it was time to go to the job site.

There was an air hose reel that had a leaking end on it, so I asked him if he'd go cut it off and put the end back on it (the line was old and cracked at the end). He ran over there, took him like an hour to get it done. When he was done he went over by the air compressor and turned the valve back on. Standing there so proud of his work for about 30 seconds before it started hissing and soon after the end spit off it and there was around 10' of hose whipping around that bay. Being the bright young man he was, instead of turning the air off, he ran over and tried to grab the hose. After 5 minutes of me barely able to breathe from watching this I finally walked over and turned the air off for him.

I like it when I'm not the only one who does stupid stuff!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    My brother-in-law is a plumber and they had a guy power washing the shop floor one time and the hose broke off of the sprayer and he did the same thing. Tried to grab the end of the hose. Took him a couple of minutes and several welts to figure out he should kill the engine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post

My question: would a reasonably competent HVAC guy his age have made this error?

the foreseeable risk of harm his actions create versus the utility of his actions;
    are u a bureaucrat in "risk management"? the brain does stupid stuff sometimes just to see what would happen if. its why we have so many marvelous things now..because someones brain asked what would happen if and they took that action instead of just contemplating the risk. But it was a bone head move on his part

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    are u a bureaucrat in "risk management"? the brain does stupid stuff sometimes just to see what would happen if. its why we have so many marvelous things now..because someones brain asked what would happen if and they took that action instead of just contemplating the risk. But it was a bone head move on his part
    No bureaucrat. They forced me out.

On taking chances, figure your risk vs. your return just like in the stock market.
    If you succeed, from dumb luck or otherwise, you're a hero. Otherwise, a bonehead. I guess this formula doesn't apply to Evel Knievel.
    If you walk out to your car in a thunderstorm because you want to get something from the store you have made the decision that the small risk to your life is worth whatever you buy.

Post Likes
    No, it was first thing in the morning. The guy is burned out by drugs and booze. Competent is the key word here. He is not very competent. Him and common sense were never introduced. He always does stupid crap. Last week he cut two trusses to put in a 20x20 return plenum for a 2 ton system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tech110 View Post
    No, it was first thing in the morning. The guy is burned out by drugs and booze. Competent is the key word here. He is not very competent. Him and common sense were never introduced. He always does stupid crap. Last week he cut two trusses to put in a 20x20 return plenum for a 2 ton system.

Holly crap, you boss should get rid of him now he's nothing but a liability thats going to end up costing him a lot of money.

Post Likes
    35 years ago when I was young and "brilliant" I got ***** slapped numerous times by a hose attached to a CO2 tank.
    So I "wised up" and replaced the hose with a piece of 1/4" copper tubing. Blew out a condenser and the copper froze to the skin on my forearm. Instead of waiting, I ripped it off my arm.

Wisdom sure can be painful.

Post Likes

Only his piss or a blood sample will tell.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    he's nothing but a liability
    Yes, and if it comes out that his employer knew about his negligence/incompetence/ignorance and didn't fire him, and others are harmed, it's going to be worse.

He sounds like a 55 on this scale
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...of_Functioning

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    35 years ago when I was young and "brilliant" I got ***** slapped numerous times by a hose attached to a CO2 tank.
    So I "wised up" and replaced the hose with a piece of 1/4" copper tubing. Blew out a condenser and the copper froze to the skin on my forearm. Instead of waiting, I ripped it off my arm.

Wisdom sure can be painful.
    it is nice to know that im not the only one that tried that. still have a scar
    that until now had forgotten what caused it.
    sure did hurt didnt it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tech110 View Post
    Sounds like it
    If you help others then you are a Success

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in