Thread: Which way??

Which way??

I am considering replacing my GE Weathertron (2.5 ton) electric heatpump & associated systems (guessing at least 25 years old).

I have been in this house (1500 sq ft, split foyer) for 10 years, and to my embarrassment (& to the testiment of this GE product), I have never had the unit serviced -- it has been "Old Faithful". Last winter, it did struggle some. I live in Iowa, so it does get hot/muggy summers, and winter's Jan. weather dipps to -20F for a couple weeks.

I am getting bidds from various venders, ie: Lennox XP19 (18 SEER & 9.30 HSPF) 2-stage heat pump & air handler; a Tappan 3-ton 2-stage, as well as Heil products.

What am I seeking? Which product has fewest maintenance calls? Which is closest to trouble-free? Which works best/lasts a long while? Bids, thus far vary by $. I figure it just may be time to swap equipment and take advantage of tax brakes, etc. Does GE still make a similar product?
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-25-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Removed price

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tree View Post
    I figure it just may be time to swap equipment and take advantage of tax brakes, etc. Does GE still make a similar product?
    The efficiency requirements for the Fed Tax Rebate for a heat pump are 15 SEER, 12.5 EER, and 8.5 HSPF (all 3 must be met).

Trane bought out GE's line of heat pumps many years ago.

Former Iowan here!

Anyway, any brand will do you just fine IF installed & sized properly. That's hard to find. Too many hacks do a lousy job of installing and few bother to survey the house to see what size you need. Most guess or put in what size you have.

XP19 would be a good product. The Tappan uses the same compressor in their 2 stage. I have a single stage Tappan system myself with 95% gas backup. The premium Heil units are good too.

GE sold out to Trane/American Standard in 1982 so your unit is older than that. Good life. There were a bunch of WeatherTron heat pumps in Waterloo when I was a kid, couldn't get gas.