Will Hunter 44550 T-Stat operate a two stage furnace?

My parents had an Amana GUVA 95% two stage variable speed furnace installed several years ago. They hooked it up to their existing Hunter 44550 thermostat.

I don't see any documentation in the manual about this thermostat operating a two stage furnace. Can anyone clarify? The stage selection comes from the thermostat based on the difference between the set point and actual temp right? Thank you.

Hunter 44550

Seems to me after looking at the manual, that this is not for 2-stage heat at all. Definitely not for 2-stage heat pump, since it says that specifically, but considering there is only one heat terminal on the stat itself, that tells you it's single stage heat.

""The stage selection comes from the thermostat based on the difference between the set point and actual temp right?""

If what you are asking is 'does the stat control how many stages come on based on the ambient temperature and the temperature that you are calling for', than yes. If the demand is set high the stat would kick into the 2nd stage.

Now, obviously we are talking about a 2-stage stat and NOT this Hunter stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    The stage selection comes from the thermostat based on the difference between the set point and actual temp right? Thank you.
    No, this is a single stage thermostat (unusually, it works with heatpumps also but not with 2 stage aux/emer heat). Unless the Amana has a timer feature for furnace control of 2 stage operation, they are not getting the all the benefits of this furnace.