Credit/Debit cards

Does anyone accept credit/debit cards ON SITE as payment for service?

What type of equipment is required to do this from the road?

I have a pack of cub scouts that do sales as fundraisers, and am asked more and more often if we take cards because people don't carry cash.

Was thinking about setting something up if the costs weren't too outrageous.

When I did residential we had visa and mastercard, you just set it up with the bank and you use one of those hand card swipe imprint deals. For debit cards probably same deal go to the bank and get one of those portable debit units like the pizza guys carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Juleous View Post
    When I did residential we had visa and mastercard, you just set it up with the bank and you use one of those hand card swipe imprint deals. For debit cards probably same deal go to the bank and get one of those portable debit units like the pizza guys carry.
    I must be out of the loop. I have never paid for pizza delivery with a debit card.

Even the snap-on guy had debit in his truck, he plugged his cell into this debit unit and completed the transaction no problem.

I usually don't, but this summer have had a couple of inquiries. Talked to my banker, he got me with the credit card dept, got me setup as a "seasonal account". It took a week to get a knuckle buster card swipe machine, merchant number & I was in business. reasonable monthly cost, per use charge % of sale. I phone in authorization on each transaction, withing 48 hrs money is in the bank. My banker said that if I did that regularly, she could set me up with a wireless modem/card reader. I have used it twice this year on equipment sales only.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I must be out of the loop. I have never paid for pizza delivery with a debit card.
    Juleous is a Canadian and from what I see in the business news all us Canadians use debit cards more than any other country in the world for all sorts of goods and services (including home delivery). A lot of places advertise Interac (tm) (debit card) at your door for food delivery.

Back to your question I don't know if it would pay for a charity group to use a debit/credit card to door to door sales for only a few times a year basis.

From what I have been reading on a carwash operators forum the clearing cost was more for manual entered slips (imprinted) than electronic transfered (like the stores use) plus there is the hasle of dealing collecting money from credit cards that come back some time later declined by the issuing bank and then the customer related disputed billing chargebacks for different reasons.

I also think if your a contractor you can't allow your imprint machine / cc account to be used for this as it would be in contravention of your merchant account as its not your normal line of bunsiness.

We've used several companies and this one seems to be the best that we've used so far.

http://www.heartlandpaymentsystems.com/

thrashme....

.....mentioned a wireless card reader , a guy i used to work with used one all the time collecting rents in a lot of apt. buildings he owns as most tennants would only want to use plastic and he'd have to go back to collect cash. They work well , check it out..........Jack

Wanted to weigh in. Seems like a lot of people now carry very little cash, everyone seems to have debit or credit cards by the handful.
    Now in our business it usually isn't a emergency and we visit them in their home so access to the checkbook is usually not a problem.
    That said I think we all need some ability to take credit cards as payment.
    I looked into my using my banks service. It is a large national bank, w.f. but the monthly fees and a % of the card charge was too much. Went with a outfit out of Calif. that provides a similar service without using any equipment. Just call in the card number and receive a confirmation #. Takes a few minutes but I really don't use it that often.

www.globalpaymentsinc.com

We use quickbooks merchant service. It's internet based. They have an app for iphone, blackberry, and a couple other phones, or they have online service that can be accessed by any phone with internet. I have the Blackberry app and it's very easy to use. They also have a number to call for phone authorization.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Does anyone accept credit/debit cards ON SITE as payment for service?

Why haven't you applied for access to Pro business and Marketing.

This type of discussion has been in there several times already.

Ok, maybe not the pizza part.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Because I don't believe that I have the qualifications for membership.

I don't own a company, nor am I really involved in financial decisions.

I am a 'lead tech' which, I guess means that I'm the tech they blame when stuff goes wrong, but I can't even approve my own materials for a job or to keep my truck stocked.

Maybe I'll try anyway.

Is Twilli's price the same for Business as it is for Technical?

Ah. From my understanding, your correct. You don't qualify.

You can always try. But, I believe you need to be in sales, financial decision making position, or owner.

Might want to email, or PM one of the membership committee, and ask what the requirements are.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?