+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Home need advice

Post Likes

Confused Building Home need advice

We are first time homebuilders. Our GC has suggested several options for heating and air. Is it okay to ask for opinions on the options on this site? I am not asking about pricing, just not sure if we should do the heat pump and upgrades.

The GC's father owns the heating and cooling company that would be doing the install. Just want to make sure we are making a good choice cause we know little to nothing about HVAC.

Post Likes
    Thank you for reading the rules first! Yes you can ask, (leaving out pricing), but one thing most on here will tell you is: It's not the brand, it's all about the proper sizing, and install.

Welcome to the forums
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    I cant wait to hear!!!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Get referrals from his other installs and don't be afraid to ask the hard questions. Installation is the most critical facet of HVAC.
    Ask the GC for a copy of the heat load calc or the architect's recommendation for capacity. That way you know they didn't "rule of thumb" it and puts liability/responsibility where it belongs.
    And for all that is right in creation, tell the GC to put the equipment where it can be easily accessed and serviced. Otherwise, it can cost you a pretty penny just to have minor work done on it, never mind major work.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Post Likes
    First off do a good envelope, 2 x 6 on 24" exterior walls, with cross braces at the corners. E'glass windows that are hinged, no sliders. Insulate your interior 2 x 4 walls. Since they'll have digging equipment there already, I'd go with Geo.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes

If You Haven't Started Building Yet ...

If you haven't started construction you might want to invest about $40 for a new construction video from a national energy consultant/architect who recommends minor changes that have BIG energy savings. His son who is an engineer will also review your blueprints at what appears to be a fairly reasonable cost and provide energy saving recommendations. I have been listening to this guy for years on his weekly radio show he's been doing for about 20 years and have met him at least 3 times. His phone number is at the bottom of the web page. See: http://www.dougrye.com/

He is a big geothermal fan and firmly believes in cellulose insulation for cost/effectiveness and foam insulation at double the cost if cost is not a factor.

I believe that he will guarantee your energy costs if you follow his recommendations.

Post Likes
    it's OK to fill out your profile too.

Post Likes
    have him show you a load Calc and duct sizing and
    for install the amout of vac he pulled and how long he let it stand (1:00p -1:45)
    presssure and Supper heat and Subcool these are thing he should be doing any way.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Post Likes

Here's the options

option #1 RHSL air handler w/ a/c-RANL 13 sheer, RMEEM 3 ton system

option #2 for about $more add heatpump RPNL 13 sheer

option #3 for about $ more upgrade to 95% efficient RGRL gas furnance with RANL A/C

option #4 upgrade for another $to 95% RGRLO7EMAES 75,000 BTU w/ heat pump RPNL

option #5 upgrade for $ RHPLHM3621 Prestige series air handler w/ ECM motor and dehumidification w/ a RPRL036JEZ 2 stage heat pump w/ vision pro 1 A Q stat 16.5 seer 2.75 eer 8.70 HSDF

What questions should we ask? How do we determine if any of the options will payoff in 5 years...10 years?? I don't mind spending more money if it is worth it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-24-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Get referrals from his other installs and don't be afraid to ask the hard questions. Installation is the most critical facet of HVAC.
    Ask the GC for a copy of the heat load calc or the architect's recommendation for capacity. That way you know they didn't "rule of thumb" it and puts liability/responsibility where it belongs.
    And for all that is right in creation, tell the GC to put the equipment where it can be easily accessed and serviced. Otherwise, it can cost you a pretty penny just to have minor work done on it, never mind major work.
    okay, I will be the first to admit that I am fairly handy, I will be installing the kitchen cabinets and the flooring, But the most I know about HVAC is how to use the thermostat. What is a heat load calc?

The equipment will have its own room in the basement, center of house. Is there a location that you HVAC people would prefer?

Post Likes
    you can get that infor on the net.

what type duct is he using poor done ducting or even just using flex will trash you energy savings.

your last opion it instaled right will be good for comfort. IF INSTALLED right .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    First off do a good envelope, 2 x 6 on 24" exterior walls, with cross braces at the corners. E'glass windows that are hinged, no sliders. Insulate your interior 2 x 4 walls. Since they'll have digging equipment there already, I'd go with Geo.
    can you explain hinged not sliders? We are looking at the windows that crank open from Pella. Are these considered hinged?

Post Likes
    money very well spent spray foam installation

Post Likes
    No prices, not even upgrade.

Already deleted them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstHomeBuilt View Post
    okay, I will be the first to admit that I am fairly handy, I will be installing the kitchen cabinets and the flooring, But the most I know about HVAC is how to use the thermostat. What is a heat load calc?

The equipment will have its own room in the basement, center of house. Is there a location that you HVAC people would prefer?
    A good heat load calc (Manuals J and D) provides you with the info you need to size and provide proper air flow to your home. Most GC's know. ALL architects and HVAC types know.

Location just needs to allow ease of access and service. Middle of basement is probably good.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Post Likes
    Spend the majority of your money in windows, insulation, a good vapor barrier that is sealed around the permitter of the entire wall, ceiling and corners thru out the entire house.

If you have the funds go with foam insulation and also include the attic roof deck, encapulate the entire attic space if possible.

Be sure all penatration thru all plumbing, electrical, ceilg fixtures, are all sealed.

As for windows I would go with Double hung's easier to clean from the inside.

Again if it's in your budget include a porch around the south and West sides of the home for shading from the hot sun during the summer months will cut down on your heat load in the summer.

Be sure there's atleast 2"-4" of foam insulation around the permititer of the foundation prior to back filling.

Make sure they seal the skirt and sill around the perimeter of the foundation.

If you do not have the house insulated with foam, be sure to then have 3/4" foam insulation bd. on the exterior of the house along with Tyvek and that all seams are taped properly. you can also include the tyvek house wrap to go up and over the roof and under the soffits of the home as well.

for more information go to buildingscience.com there's a wealth of information where they provide many different scenarios depending on your climate and zone your in. Very good info to read and put into your home that will pay you back 10 fold if implemented and installed properly where you can then heat your home with a few candles.

Be sure to include either a HRV/ERV for proper ventilation of all areas of the home including Bath's, kitchens, laundry, and living areas.

Post Likes

ductwork

Here's what they are using for ductwork.

The duct work is Rectangular galvanized metal with 6" solid metal supply tubes for the heat runs. We use primarily hard surface pipe and not flexible.

Is this good?

Post Likes
    6" is typical for the average however in some cases you may need some 8" duct runs but that's far and few between. Be sure they also install dampers on all the supply runs so that after the install is complete the entire system can then be balanced to get the proper air flow to all the rooms so they all are conditioned evenly. If any of the supply runs go in thru a crawl space be sure everything in that area is insulated this should include any runs in the attic space to be insulated as well.

One last item, be sure either you or they seal the entire duct work with a mastic and metal tape to seal the duct work to ensure you have the best possible air flow, should include the return duct work also.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstHomeBuilt View Post
    Here's what they are using for ductwork.

The duct work is Rectangular galvanized metal with 6" solid metal supply tubes for the heat runs. We use primarily hard surface pipe and not flexible.

Is this good?
    Yes that good
    the size in determined by the Manual D.

If you want to go all the way wrap the duct work

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    6" is typical for the average however in some cases you may need some 8" duct runs but that's far and few between. Be sure they also install dampers on all the supply runs so that after the install is complete the entire system can then be balanced to get the proper air flow to all the rooms so they all are conditioned evenly. If any of the supply runs go in thru a crawl space be sure everything in that area is insulated this should include any runs in the attic space to be insulated as well.

One last item, be sure either you or they seal the entire duct work with a mastic and metal tape to seal the duct work to ensure you have the best possible air flow, should include the return duct work also.
    good point

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in