Basement exhaust fan

I would like to install an "exhaust" fan in my basement, slow speed, low cfm--sort of like a radon fan or "The Wave" that is advertised on the radio. I figure to run PVC pipe out the wall, or up and out the old chimney that was previously used fo the old hot water heater. Any suggestions?

Insulated flex is the usual protocol, otherwise you will get heavy condensation in the exhaust line.

Thank you

Ok, but why does it condensate? If it's only inside air, except maybe during winter, why? I can insulate the PVC, if necessary. But the chimney is enclosed in brick and runs up through the center of the house. Any suggestions gladly welcomed.

Warm moist air condenses in cold spaces.

Hold up there, Jimski.

Before you add ANY air moving product, especially one that moves it indoors to out or vice versus, know this... It can seriously affect any other piece of equipment that depends on air utilization, to the point of creating lethal levels of carbon monoxide indoors. If you don't know or are unsure if this is a potential issue in your home, we can't help you. You need someone in the trades local who can assess the situation.

You may or may not be extensively involved in this trade, but for the safety of yourself and family, this is not the place to answer these types of questions.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    Hold up there, Jimski.

Before you add ANY air moving product, especially one that moves it indoors to out or vice versus, know this... It can seriously affect any other piece of equipment that depends on air utilization, to the point of creating lethal levels of carbon monoxide indoors. If you don't know or are unsure if this is a potential issue in your home, we can't help you. You need someone in the trades local who can assess the situation.

You may or may not be extensively involved in this trade, but for the safety of yourself and family, this is not the place to answer these types of questions.
    Dually noted, got to remember this is not a DIY forum.

Hmm Thank you for asking

I have considered these issues (sealed combustion boiler and indirect hot water tank, electric clothes dryer), but thanks.

Why do you want an exhaust? Stale air, basement bathroom?

If it is a stale air issue, I would look into a Heat Recovery Ventilator, or Energy Recovery Ventilator. I am partial to Renew Air. but there are lots of manufactures out there.

It will cost you more up front, but it will save big time over time, and there are many benefits from using one. Do some research, and get a experienced, licensed contractor to look at it with you.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Yep Renewaire is a good product, I just ordered one yesterday for my house. The EV series is a good unit allows you to install in the attic if necessary but can be installed elsewhere.
    By using a HRV/ERV your going to expell any unwanted stale air while bringing in fresh air and heating the fresh air with the stale air to lower the amount of energy needed to heat/cool the incoming fresh air. give your HVAC guy a call and or look at Renewaires website, they have all the information on there site. By using the EV series this will also cut down on the amount of added humidity you may need during the winter time when using the Renewaire EV series air exchangers. Would be a smart move on your part.

By just pulling out stale air with out replacing the exhausted air will cause many problems for your other appliances not to mention creating a negative pressure in your home that will create a whole nother set of problems for your home in general.

I am a firm beleiver in HRV/ERVs. Exhaust fans force air to be reintroduced to the space through places you may not want: cracks, crevasses, chimney flues...

My upper bathrooms do not have exhaust fans. They, along with the rest of the house, are ventilated by my HRV and furnace fan via wall timers as well as my Honeywell IAQ. Humidity became an issue after I installed my hi-eff furnace and I had to install the HRV to compensate. Humidity is not an issue anymore and the air is balanced between indoor and out
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.
    My competition are my best salespeople!