Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Most geo systems have it.

And some standard air to air systems do also.
    That an add-on to air to air HP, BT? Any brand names? Thought most pro's bad mouthed HW from HP, except from geo.

Its an add on for air to air.

How much benefit you will get from a newer high efficiency unit today. is questionable.

But, in hotter climates, and or areas with long cooling seasons. they may get some benefit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beenthere, do you have some links to those? Would be interested in doing some reading. Down here, my AC runs so much that I find it terribly ironic that I'm using electricity to heat water.

Here is a link to a Popular Science article from 1980. Nothing has really changed in the 30 years since that was published.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cUp...%20tap&f=false
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Except the install price is a LOT more.
    Contractor locator map

Its an add on for air to air.

How much benefit you will get from a newer high efficiency unit today. is questionable.

But, in hotter climates, and or areas with long cooling seasons. they may get some benefit.
    Why is it that the new higher efficient units offer less of a benefit? It would seem that its just a matter of where you are putting the 'waste' heat... outside or into the water... obviously there is more to it than that... why?

They flowing higher refrigerant volume. So less temp(Not BTU an hour)from the compressor discharge.

So won't always heat the water to as high of a temp. And once the tank is hot. And no one is home. All the A/C heat is still being rejected outside.
    Contractor locator map

Except the install price is a LOT more.
    Yeah well that's true.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I've worked on two of these made by ETech. I think they have been bought out by another company. Definitely makes the room colder but they work great, very little maintenance and tend to last long. The ones I know about are over 10 years old and still working.

They are noisy though.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

They flowing higher refrigerant volume. So less temp(Not BTU an hour)from the compressor discharge.

So won't always heat the water to as high of a temp. And once the tank is hot. And no one is home. All the A/C heat is still being rejected outside.
    Thank you, that does make sense. Basically the delta T between the water you are attempting to heat and the compressor discharge becomes too little right?

Quote Originally Posted by platchford View Post
    Thank you, that does make sense. Basically the delta T between the water you are attempting to heat and the compressor discharge becomes too little right?

Yes.

If you use it with/on a preheat tank. Then its not a real problem. Just adds cost to initial install, and adds time to payback.
    Contractor locator map

I want one.

I've been thinking about this HPWH thing lately. To Jerryd, Rheem, Geyser and many others have HPWHs. The claim to fame of GE's hybrid design is that it's the first to get certified under new energy efficiency standards.

I've been wondering about the cooling problem this technology presents. Does anyone know how much the air temperatures changes from inlet to outlet? A regular family size unit for example.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast