Water in return EVERY day, 15 gallons at least, leaky pan?

I have a (5 ton) 10 year old goodman air handler and EVERY single night I must vaccuum out approx 15 gallons or more of water that collects in the flex duct underneath my air handler.

I have been getting estimates on new units but the a/c works fine except for this collection of water I have every day. I should just buy a bilge pump !

So, one of the contractors said that since the unit has froze up a few times in the past that the pan is made of plastic and the pan probably got cracked and now the water is just going right down into the area between the air handler and return duct which of course cuts down on air flow and eventually causes it to freeze up if I don't use my wet vac to suck it out in time.

So, is this a reasonable explanation of what might be causing my water collection?

I was curious, is the pan separate from the coil or would the whole coil have to be replaced?

Could be something as simple as the drain being plugged up.
    Call another company, and see what they say.
    Replacing the coil, isn't an inexpensive chore.

Do you know for sure the unit froze up,or is that what you were told?

i know it froze up many times, ice all over the coil and even ice on the line outside on the compressor as well

water is coming out of the drain line outside and if i stick my finger domn in it to clear out some water the water rises right back to the top

If this is an electric heat air handler, you probably should replace the whole unit. You'd be miles ahead, in the long run.

What about the P-trap in the condensate line, if it has one ,that could be completely clogged. the drain pan can be replaced without the coil. take the bottom cover off & pour water in pan to see if it drains

Could be a coupla different things.
    I'd want to know exactly what's making it freeze over. Seems like with that much water in the duct, it would rip it apart.

Those "plastic" pans are pretty tuff. Hard to believe it cracked because of an ice problem but, anything's possible.

Red face

If the air handler or coil is less than 5 years old, you can get just the drain pan (and its cheap). You need to have someone experienced look at system, it may be a minor problem causing this leak (such as no trap in a negative pressure coil!).

It's funny, we have been in that home almost 10 years and never had our drain line cleaned out.
    We have been sucking at least 15 gallons of water from underneath our air handler every night for the last
    week or two. Someone told me it might be a crack in the pan or clogged drain line. So, I pulled off the air
    filter access and peaked in there with a flashlight while it was running. There was a steady stream of water
    streaming from the back of the pan right down into the flex duct. I couldn't see any cracks but notice the pan
    is full of water and doesn't appear to be draining. So, I go outside with the high power nozzle on the hose
    and shoot it in the drain line. I had my wife inside tell me when it came out the other end. Needless to say
    a bunch of gunk came out and we cleaned the gunk out of the pan and had to repeat the process about
    5 times before the water finally started coming out clear. I'll check later to see if that solved my problem but
    afterwards I didn't see any water running down into the flex duct any more.

Annual maintenance performed properly will do wonders for a system.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Wink

If you've been in the home 10 yrs, I can't agree with JrB more. You need to have your unit looked at and a pre-paid maintenance agreement would be the cheapest way to go! Good job on the drain cleaning tho!!

Service agreement would benefit you greatly, the unit is 10 years old. time to start taking care of it or wind up replacing it.

Search around and find someone you trust. Build a relationship.