+ Reply to Thread

Thread: where is my filter?

Post Likes

where is my filter?

i have a new house with a goodman model ARUF182416BA air handler. i need to replace the filter for the first time but i cannot find it! where is the filter located? does anyone know? its driving me crazy!
    thanks!

Post Likes
    Is it not in the air handler/furnace? Is the a section they made in the duct for it? Is there an air filter in your return grilles?

Post Likes
    Check the end of the furnace where the return air comes in, it could be the installers covered the thumbscrews that secures the filter door. Otherwise check return grill or look for external door for filter at return (could be on back side of furnace if in attic..seen stranger).

Post Likes
    i will check the handler again but i dont see anything that resembles a door or pull-out type flap where a filter may be. i do have about an 18" X 18" return grill in my cathedral ceiling in the living room. i can see thru it and there is no filter in there. should there be? ive never had a central system before so im unfamiliar with it and the builder is basically un-contactable, if thats even a word, but it is useless to try and get ahold of him. im stumped.

Post Likes
    the filter may be inside the unit

Post Likes
    Like yellowirenut said...air handlers generally come with filter installed. Door is removable, not the open shut type. It should have a thumb screw at each end that secures it in place...at least this is how Lennox air handlers are..

Post Likes
    Follow the return duct from the return in your ceiling to the air handler. The filter should be somewhere between the return grill and the blower.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Post Likes
    i just found it. the installers taped over it with the metallic tape. i pulled off the thin metal cover and found where the filter should be...yes should be! they never even put a filter in it! ive been running it for 2-3 months now with no filter. do you think that has damaged anything? i am going to go get one now. i measured the compartment and it appears to be 15 X 22. thank you!

Post Likes
    Take your tape measure with you the to store so you can get the one closest to your measurements. You probably didn't hurt anything as your return is in your ceiling.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

Post Likes
    If that is the correct size, that is quite the odd size. I would check your return grill in the ceiling, should be a more standard size, and go with that one(unless it is really hard to get too). 2-3 months with no filter is not good, that is the normal lifespan of a 1" filter. It would be a good idea to have a company come out and check the evaporator coil. It would be worth the cost of a service call to know the condition of the coil.

Post Likes
    It's probably a 16' by 20' size. I think that's what I've got in my apartment.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

Post Likes
    15.5" x 22" is the outside dimensions of the unit... I think it's a 14" x 20" or at the minimum 14" x 18".

Post Likes
    May have allowed the coil to get dirty.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in