Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    For most of us, this ain't a hobby, whereas, their jams, jellies and home-made jerky probably are.

I often find it funny (disappointingly like) how many people disregard the value of your abilities until they need/want you and then forget about them after you finish and it becomes uncomfortable to talk about money, like they are doing you a favour just by letting you practice on their equipment.

People will flaunt and flash cash, credit or cheques for anything that makes them look good, but for something they can't see, it has no value, should cost nothing to repair and should work forever.

What family & friends do for me in my everyday life dictates what I will charge them. "Hey!" once in a while over the fence don't cut it, especially if I'm the guy doin' the "Hey!" first most of the time.

Dad & wife's parents get repairs for nothing only. Most of mine and the wife's sibs have job skills that are useless bartering tools. Some do and I will.

IF you don't like the arrangement, fix it until it works. Make sure it isn't you that can't sleep at night. After all, you gotta be sharp in the morning.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    For most of us, this ain't a hobby, whereas, their jams, jellies and home-made jerky probably are.

I often find it funny (disappointingly like) how many people disregard the value of your abilities until they need/want you and then forget about them after you finish and it becomes uncomfortable to talk about money, like they are doing you a favour just by letting you practice on their equipment.

People will flaunt and flash cash, credit or cheques for anything that makes them look good, but for something they can't see, it has no value, should cost nothing to repair and should work forever.

What family & friends do for me in my everyday life dictates what I will charge them. "Hey!" once in a while over the fence don't cut it, especially if I'm the guy doin' the "Hey!" first most of the time.

Dad & wife's parents get repairs for nothing only. Most of mine and the wife's sibs have job skills that are useless bartering tools. Some do and I will.

IF you don't like the arrangement, fix it until it works. Make sure it isn't you that can't sleep at night. After all, you gotta be sharp in the morning.
    That about sums it up

Quote Originally Posted by Super Tech JJ View Post
    Working for family and friends can be tricky. Don't let them talk you into anything that is "NOT CORRECT" or you will regret that later. Tell them that they need to call someone else if they want a different result. It sounds like they are trying to get even with their insurance company and while that make them feel good to get some payback from them I bet it won't make you feel good.
    +10

Not interested. Takes away from my children. When Mom calls, kids have to go help or do something for her while I repair unit. Siblings, only when its convenient for me. Friends, depends on the friend, usually never for free.

I was married to an artist once and if you think we suffer from abuse people would think she should give her work away to them. " I really like that one. Can I have it?" I never knew why they thought that way. Maybe it's because after being in more than 10000 homes earlier in this career I know few people actually buy real art. Unless at Wall-Marts.
    Sometimes people will contact us as they fear the unknown. Others are just free loaders.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123