replacing HVAC to 2 zone.. advice on quote

replacing HVAC to 2 zone.. advice on quote

hi there
    we am changing hvac system to 2 zone and i got quote from couple of contractor.. this guy did energy audit and came up with quote to replace existing 120k and 4 ton system with 2 systems (60k and 2.5 ton)

i need advice on if the combination of system in following quote is efficient or not ? as furnace is infinity and out door unit is performance series ? i guess and there is no heat pump ??

system in attic for second floor where we have 4 bed rooms, he wants to put only one central return duct which i ask for individual return from each room ? what is the best practice ???

he is using combination of rigid and flex duct in attic ? i want to know if thats ok or rigid duct would be better ?

quote is as follows and i want to know the match of all units is fine or not and is there anything missing in quote, i mean technically is there any thing else needs to be added here ???

Two Carrier Infinity 96 (95.1% afue), 3-stage, variable speed, gas furnaces model 58MVC060F114.
    Two Carrier Performance 15, Model 24APA530A, 2.5-Ton Puron 410a, condensers and pads. These combinations are rated at 15 SEER & 12.75 EER.
    One Carrier cased evaporator coil model CAPVP3617.
    One Carrier cased evaporator coil model CAPHP3617. Install secondary drain pan with safety switch.
    Two Carrier Infinity controllers (digital programmable t-stat, with energy management).
    All necessary sheet metal transitions. All necessary ducting for complete new second floor system in attic. Install ceiling supply and return in each room for second floor system.
    Install Two Carrier filter media and cabinet.
    Remove and dispose old equipment.
    Install condensate pump with drain for A/C and furnace condensate. Furnaces to direct using PVC piping per manufacturer specifications.
    All necessary electrical with new disconnects, whips and fuses at condensing unit.
    Including all labor and misc. materials.
    Manufacturer *Ten years all parts and labor*. Limited life on heat exchangers.

thanks for all expert advice in advance

Wow. I think everyone went away for the weekend.

What do you mean no heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Question What did you specifically request ?

Quote Originally Posted by bestboyz View Post

i need advice on if the combination of system in following quote is efficient or not ? as furnace is infinity and out door unit is performance series ?

i guess and there is no heat pump ??

system in attic for second floor where we have 4 bed rooms, he wants to put only one central return duct which i ask for individual return from each room ? what is the best practice ???
    He did not comply with upstairs return request.
    Totally IGNORING Your request is simply UNACCEPTABLE.

If addition, if you asked for a heat pump and the Quote did not addiress your request, tell him to provide proposal as requested or Move On.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Hi there
    he said he is not installing hydra heat means not heat pum and furnace both ... but i was concern that furnace is infinity and a/c is from performance series ??
    he says infinity comes in only 1 ton increment for a/c and i will need only 2.5 ton both system so we are going for performance series and not infinity ?? is that tru and what else is missing in quote or is there any deficiency in quote technically which can make system not to perform optimal ???
    thanks guys

Is he proposing to install a 90% gas furnace in the attic? Or does it go into a room in the 2nd floor? If in an unconditioned attic, how does he propose to keep it from freezing (esp. if power goes off in winter)? If a unit is in the attic, is the back up drain pan with drain and switch included? I don't like to put condensing furnaces in attics!!! If put in a room in the 2nd floor, it still needs a back up pan to protect the lower floor ceiling from moisture damage.

hi there
    yes he is installing 90% furnace on attic,, do u mean they drip or have moisture ? if i install second unit in basement, i guess there will be lots of mess.. i already have system which delivers to both floor now and we are cutting of all connection going to second floor from basement ,, if we install second system there too, how we gonna route all duct work ?

if he install pan and drain switch, is it fine to install second system at attic or something else also needs to be done.?? i ask couple of contractor and all of them suggested to install system on attic for second floor// any safeguard for moisture and freezing problem ??

thanks

Question

If you have ductwork feeding the 2nd floor from the basement, why don't you install a seperate unit for 2nd floor duct system connected right in basement? Or zone the top floor using just one unit?? I don't like to install a condensing gas furnace in a non-conditioned area, and think that some building codes won't allow this to be done anymore. Your condensing gas furnaces have water inside them, and if they freeze, the condensing section of heat exchanger could be damaged. Is the furnace itself to be located in the attic? Or just the ductwork?

hi wahoo

thanks for response,,

right now i have one system in basement and in center of basement i have one big supply trunk which feeds to first floor and second floor,,,, if i install another unit in basement we have to run another big supply trunk in center ceiling of basement... which i dont like and i will loose ceiling height too... from the central supply trunk, wherever we have supply to second floor, we are going to cut them off and seal it... so it will only supply to first floor... and all supply outlet on second floor wall are being closed and sealed... and from attic we are installing second unit which will supply to second floor from ceiling supply outlet.. i mean outlet will be in ceiling,, he is suggesting some sort of insulation in attic... we are changing both unit... existing one is 125 k and 4 tons and we are installing 60 k and 2.5 ton of two units.. furnace is infinity series and a.c is performance series.. contractor is reputed guys with lots of business but when i met him, he didnt seems to knowledgable or innovative in design... i try also for ductless system but quote was high and they said it can not be primary source of heating...
    now i am not sure if this is the most efficient design in given situation... and if there is any fault with design or if i need to add something else in contract..
    thanks

hi there

in following post u will find layout of home and layout of all duct work.... thanks

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=361822&page=2