Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    I don't know about the wine glass thing but I remember riding the subway from Cambridge back to Boston one night and sat across a couple of folks that were swigging Listerine straight from the bottle. They had a couple of shopping bags full of Listerine so I figure maybe they were heading off to a party or something.
    WOW. You really gotta want it to chug listerine.

I have always preferred Vanilla extract and NyQuil.

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    WOW. You really gotta want it to chug listerine.

I have always preferred Vanilla extract and NyQuil.
    I was always partial to the grape children's cold medicine.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    As far as the wine goes, your drinking the wrong wine. Take for example "Richards Wild Irish Rose" or "Thunderbird" or even "Boones Farm", these wines can only be "properly enjoyed" straight from the bottle!
    Cut it out , your giving me flasbacks to the late 1970's.

The largest mistake with wine, even in good restaurants, is it's served too warm. So many say serve at room temperature. Only problem is the room mentioned is the wine cellar not the living room, about 58 degF there abouts. You will be surprised how a wine will wake up it's flavors when served cooler.
    I like reds around 60-62 degF and whites about 55.
    Wine also ages a lot faster warm and can go over the top before it's drunk.

Crickets are good luck.
    Tracers work both ways.

non-wine people are stupid

"Serve at 60 degrees."

OK; what does that mean? It doesn't mean keep the wine in a rack in the dining room. Or down in the cellar next to the refrigeration units. Or behind the bar under the whiskey lights.

It Does mean that the red wines needed to be chilled. Because by the time someone handles the bottle, carries it to my table, pours it into relatively warm glasses, and I finally get to swill it down - guess what?

It ain't 60 degrees any more!

Reds I want to hit my glass in the middle / high fifties. Whites, assuming that I would drink one, I want to hit my glass at about 40-45 degrees.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    The largest mistake with wine, even in good restaurants, is it's served too warm. So many say serve at room temperature. Only problem is the room mentioned is the wine cellar not the living room, about 58 degF there abouts. You will be surprised how a wine will wake up it's flavors when served cooler.

Crickets are good luck.
    Last edited by Poodle Head Mikey; 09-22-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: words - it's the words that keep getting mixed up man. It weird; like they all tangle with each other. Zupwidat?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post

Crickets are good luck.
    And I thought I was the only one in the world that knew this. I have been put down so many times by wine cooler companies and other techs for saying this.

Every one of my wine cooler customers have been reset to about 58 degrees. And everyone of them have been amazed at how better the wine tastes, especially red wine.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Champagne comes in a can now!

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    "Serve at 60 degrees."

OK; what does that mean? It doesn't mean keep the wine in a rack in the dining room. Or down in the cellar next to the refrigeration units. Or behind the bar under the whiskey lights.

It Does mean that the red wines needed to be chilled. Because by the time someone handles the bottle, carries it to my table, pours it into relatively warm glasses, and I finally get to swill it down - guess what?

PHM
    --------

There was this wine expert on PBS that said wine at room temps will soon go over the top because of increased chemical activity. I don't remember how much faster but times four sounds right depending on temps.
    Wine should be kept cool as long as you own it. The aging process is best when slowed down. Time to develop esters, aldehyde's, and even more complex substances.
    And sure the wine will warm up some at the table. I've asked for an ice bucket at restaurants. I'll get a stare like I'm some newbie but that's ok. For the price I'm going to enjoy it.
    I don't drink a lot of whites either but I do like champagne especially with pork.
    Seems people are growing vines all over. Even the little village I'm in there are four vineyards. $3000-$6000/acre good little cash crop. They might meet market saturation soon as I see the price for good popular wines dropping. Some as low as $3.75 on sale.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    You may have different crickets but this is what we have. Cricketts rub their hine legs together to attract a female. It's like the Barry White song of dating to crickets. See, for each 3,000 male cricket there is only one female so they have to keep at it relentlessly.

Hellen Ready wrote and sang a song in the 80's called Cricket Love. It didn't sell so she renamed it Muskrat Love and she sold a bunch of records then. It certainly helped my love life.

See, if you do this yourself females get attracted. I know cause I use to do it all the time. Next time when in a singles bar lay down on the floor and start rubbing your hine legs together really fast and the women will fall all over you. You have to take your pants off first cause your legs have to be raw -- this I found out the hard way. I set so many pants on fire before I learned this!
    I think that was Capt. and Tenille.

I didn't know muskrats rubbed their legs together.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by GGALLAND View Post
    Champagne comes in a can now!
    I'm so getting me some.

I pour my boxed wine into a bottle to not seem like such a scumbag.

PHM, I know a lot of winos who'd beg to differ with you about the wine thing.

And I don't know about crickets, but it's a known fact that only the male cicadas (some folks call em locusts, but they ain't) make that loud noise. This prompted some unknown poet to pen the following, generations ago:

Happy are the cicada's lives
    for SILENT are their wives.

Need to carry them in the truck for OSA!

The frequency of chirping varies according to temperature. To get a rough estimate of the temperature in degrees fahrenheit, count the number of chirps in 15 seconds and then add 37. The number you get will be an approximation of the outside temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckg222 View Post
    Need to carry them in the truck for OSA!

The frequency of chirping varies according to temperature. To get a rough estimate of the temperature in degrees fahrenheit, count the number of chirps in 15 seconds and then add 37. The number you get will be an approximation of the outside temperature.
    Wow! And I thought my social life sucked! You actually do this?
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast