Hybrid View

Electrical problem with my house

Whats up fellas,

The other day somebody pulled a surge protector out of the wall socket without turing off the surge protector. since then, the power went out to certain plugs and switches. It has came back on to those areas randomly but then goes back out again if you turn on a switch or plug something in,in that area of the house. No breakers tripped at the breaker panel and when i check the voltage i have 120 going to all the breakers. ive also checked for loose wiring and i cant find the problem. The wiring in the house is a bit dated and whoever wired it up did a insufficient job. the only thing i can come up with is there is a possible ground fault somewhere causing a short or that the breaker panel is overloaded. any suggestions?

I would recomend posting this on a different forum. I will say call a electrician. The problem could be with the recpt that the surge was pulled from. That is all I will say. Good luck

Like piolt said this is for HVAC discussions. I'm sure the electrical trade must have a forum similar to this.

If you have intermitten power and a breaker or GFI is not tripping, it sounds scarey to me. Like a loose connection some where in a circuit. Maybe a loose wire nut?? When the wires draw some ampereage the wire expand and the joint where the 2 wires meet move apart and you lose conductivity. When things cool down continuity is re-established.

This is just a theroy on my part. But it ain't a situation you want in a hidden junction box.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Like piolt said this is for HVAC discussions. I'm sure the electrical trade must have a forum similar to this.

If you have intermitten power and a breaker or GFI is not tripping, it sounds scarey to me. Like a loose connection some where in a circuit. Maybe a loose wire nut?? When the wires draw some ampereage the wire expand and the joint where the 2 wires meet move apart and you lose conductivity. When things cool down continuity is re-established.

This is just a theroy on my part. But it ain't a situation you want in a hidden junction box.
    yeah, thats why i posted this in the general discussion. i am going to check each plug and switch in the circuit to see if there is anything going on.

Call an electrician.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?