Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's called a "kickback" and in most areas they are illegal.

If you were ever to get into any sort of .gov building (school, hospital, university, etc..) and you received or gave any sort of kickbacks you could face jail time.

As mentioned above gift cards, vacations, etc.. They are all considered kickbacks.

I once bought a cup of coffee for a guy at a major university, a lousy $2 cup of joe, well someone higher up saw that and called my manager saying that if it happened again we would both be tossed off campus and the university employee I bought the coffee for would be terminated. I told my manager the guy forgot his wallet and he borrowed $2, he knew the gig and kind of smirked at me.

No joke, that is how serious some people take this stuff.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

A kickback is paid to a person that is involved in the authorization/awarding of a contract.
    Since the roofing contractor is not awarding the contract, its not a kickback, or illegal.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A kickback is paid to a person that is involved in the authorization/awarding of a contract.
    Since the roofing contractor is not awarding the contract, its not a kickback, or illegal.
    True and false.

False because he never said whether the roofing co. was the GC on a job, and we don't know if bids are involved.

The GC would be the one to assign sub contractors making it shady at best, if bidding is involved then it's 100% illegal.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Sorry for the double threads ... new here.

Thank you for the replies. Have a great day!

Did they let you know they wanted some of the profit from your job prior to bidding it? If not, your taking money right out of your familys mouths to give to them for no work at all. Do your costs to perform the job go down? No. Does your profit needed to stay in biz go down? Yes. If they need a spiff to refer you, tell them next time to let you know so you can add it to the bid. It's only fair.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    It's called a "kickback" and in most areas they are illegal.

If you were ever to get into any sort of .gov building (school, hospital, university, etc..) and you received or gave any sort of kickbacks you could face jail time.

As mentioned above gift cards, vacations, etc.. They are all considered kickbacks.

I once bought a cup of coffee for a guy at a major university, a lousy $2 cup of joe, well someone higher up saw that and called my manager saying that if it happened again we would both be tossed off campus and the university employee I bought the coffee for would be terminated. I told my manager the guy forgot his wallet and he borrowed $2, he knew the gig and kind of smirked at me.

No joke, that is how serious some people take this stuff.

Thats ridiculous. I am out of town in a remote location this week and have taken customers out every day. The sales guys don't get up here much so its up to me to wine and dine. Hope they all don't get fired.

Ask Nick Simhoff what he would do.....

My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I Read the whole thread !

Unless you agreed in advance with the other company to a finders fee, no Dice !

I would stay away from anyone that tells me thay want/expect a finders fee ! As other have said, if it's not baltantly illegal it borders on being so.

If youare subbing to them and they want more money tell them to increase their add on percentage for project coordination, other wise tell em to shove off !

If you get into thios situation it will likely be considered collusion !
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12