Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane xl 1800 ..used...worth buying?

wussup guys

I am new to the forum. I wanted to ask a question. I came across an ad for a used trane xl1800 unit (Model TTZ060A) its a 5 ton unit with a Trane air handler TWE065E13. Its a used unit and the person selling it wants around $ for both. I currently have a rheem 4 ton unit that is 12 seers and the unit is about 14 yrs old now (1996 RBEA model). My unit runs good but it doesn't have anything like a variable speed system or like a 2 stage compressor or anything. I was wondering if I buy this Trane and get it installed for maybe total price $ ( installed). You guys think its worth in helping saving money on electric bill? (my electric bill has been past 3 months over $350) ( Oh sorry I didn't mention I just bought my first house in miami fl so this is for my new home) Or better off waiting for the a/c unit to die and then get something? I was thinking its so cheap I can probably get that money back in less then 2 yr. The guy is selling the unit b/c he's taking it out of a foreclosed home. My home is a 2200 sqft home.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-16-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Please read site rules. no prices in post.
    I removed them from your post already.

Did he buy the foreclosed home. Or is he stealing the unit from the bank?

Make weatherization improvements to your home first. Then have a load calc done when its time to change out your unit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

opps! sorry about that! The guys home foreclosed so he's trying to sell whatever he can to make some money I guess... What you mean weatherization? Like check for leaks in my windows, doors and stuff? I did that already plus I put caulking on all the windows. I am about to do some tinting on my glass sliding door in my family room. The sun directly hits those areas all day long!! (there is 4 big 8x3 glass sliding doors + one 8x3 picture window, going to tint all of them). But I was thinking my a/c is the culprit in high electric bill!!!

Thanks for your help and reply

I'd definitely pass on this one - I can see several potential practical an maybe even legal issues.

He's stealing the unit.
    Contractor locator map

No he's not stealing loll. The home belongs to him and its in the final process for foreclosure. So he is selling all his appliances and stuff. Anyways I am most likely not getting the unit from him because everyone telling me to get a new unit. I was about to just purchase his outdoor unit and hook it up with a 4 ton trane air handler which was offer to me by one a/c tech. It's all coming out cheap but the units are old and used. So to keep it safe I am going to buy a new unit. loll thanks guys for everyone's replies.

Its considered part of the real estate, not a separate appliance from the house.
    Contractor locator map

beenthere is right, once the unit is installed, it becomes part of the real estate and the actual owner (person or institution) could show up at your home and demand its return, or you'd face charges for possession of stolen property. If the property is going into foreclosure, the loan company is taking possession and the HVAC equipment must be left in the home along with the water heater, water pipes, fireplace insert, carpet....you get my drift! You don't want any involvement in this mess!! They (the loan company) would probably come after you instead of him because he already has shown that he has nothing...think about it! If the home is "going into foreclosure" then he actually owns none of it (or actually less than none).

whoa! You guys are right. I did not know the a/c system is part of the real estate. In state of Florida, everyone that is losing their real estate properties are trying to sell everything they can from the properties. Its sad. I am currently now looking at 4 ton 18 seer goodman with 2 stage compressor or a rheem prestige of the same specs as a replacement. I just want to save on my electric bill , I just received today fpl bill... it was like $400+++ with taxes. I am going to get exact model # soon and I can ask ya'll opinion on each unit then.

The money you'll save on electricity could go toward your legal fees. Neat!

In some areas. People that have had their homes foreclosed on. Have stole the copper pipes from the house.
    Contractor locator map

There are several foreclosed properties in my neighborhood and the a/c and water systems have been taken from them.

Along with the vandalizing it's going to cost a pretty penny to put these houses back into shape.

Sad times.

To the OP, whatever is installed at this guy's home is property of the bank, "don't go there".

When you get into the 16 to 18 SEER equipment, make sure you see an ARI match up sheet that shows what you are quoted as actually producing this efficiency. A lot of the times, when going into the 4 to 5 ton market, the ACTUAL SEER of the installed unit will be quite a bit lower. The brochure you are shown shows the unit as producing "UP TO" the quoted SEER, however in the actual match up sheet it may be less. Do your homework before buying and don't take the word of a commissioned sales person. An 18 SEER 2 ton unit may only produce 15 SEER in the 4 or 5 ton size (or less).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast