Electric Strip or Heat Pump in South Florida

Is there any reason to invest in a heat pump rather than just an electric strip for heating my single story 4200 sq ft single story home with 25 ft ceilings in south FL? I use the heat about 1-2 weeks a year max and am about to replace 2 of the 3 zones(2.5T and 5T). Thanks.

Get quotes both ways and do the math. If your heating needs are that minimal, might be hard to justify the added cost of HP over straight AC. What size is the 3rd zone? You have 7.5 plus, seem alittle excessive, even for S. Florida.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by chillimd View Post
    Is there any reason to invest in a heat pump rather than just an electric strip for heating my single story 4200 sq ft single story home with 25 ft ceilings in south FL? I use the heat about 1-2 weeks a year max and am about to replace 2 of the 3 zones(2.5T and 5T). Thanks.
    If your power for the Airhandler's can handle the larger heat strips it may not be a bad idea to go to straight cool with a heat strip.

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Get quotes both ways and do the math. If your heating needs are that minimal, might be hard to justify the added cost of HP over straight AC. What size is the 3rd zone? You have 7.5 plus, seem alittle excessive, even for S. Florida.
    Other zone is a 1.5 ton I believe in a small guest house.

If a 4 ton unit will suffice where the 5 ton builder unit is, should I downsize?

Also, for the 2.5 ton unit, most of the Seer 18 replacement units are 3 ton. Is that a problem when maybe a 2 to 2.5 ton would have sufficed originally.

Quote Originally Posted by chillimd View Post
    Other zone is a 1.5 ton I believe in a small guest house.

If a 4 ton unit will suffice where the 5 ton builder unit is, should I downsize?

Also, for the 2.5 ton unit, most of the Seer 18 replacement units are 3 ton. Is that a problem when maybe a 2 to 2.5 ton would have sufficed originally.
    You need a Manual J heat gain/loss calc done on the home.

Eliminates guessing of equipment sizing.

Take care.