Leaking Amana Evap Coils...

Is anyone having problems with Amana Airhandler evap coils? You cant beat the cost.But i guess you get what you pay for...Changed out 3 this week already.leaks are happening on the bottom left inside the coil.this **** is getting old fast! I know all brands leak.but someone needs to hurry up on that aluminum coil again!!! Do you think husky coating the coil will help?

I thought they were giving treated coils for replacements. I can assure you that other brands have been having the same problem.

O i know other brands have leaking coils,but for some reason more so amana. and no we have not gotten a treated coil to replace with....I just feel bad for the customer who spent alot of money for a new system to have problems within the first 2 months...I had one today where it was installed on june 30th of this year. found leaking coil. so we pulled it out after replacing it. ported it off and pressurized w 250lbs of nitro,and sprayed w soap. there was over 10 leaks we counted on the left side,inside the coil.. we even did a acid test and everything was ok....hope things get better for amana

I'll guarantee none of them have a union made label. Bet it says, made in mexico or, better yet china.

Quote Originally Posted by jweig20 View Post
    O i know other brands have leaking coils,but for some reason more so amana. and no we have not gotten a treated coil to replace with....I just feel bad for the customer who spent alot of money for a new system to have problems within the first 2 months...I had one today where it was installed on june 30th of this year. found leaking coil. so we pulled it out after replacing it. ported it off and pressurized w 250lbs of nitro,and sprayed w soap. there was over 10 leaks we counted on the left side,inside the coil.. we even did a acid test and everything was ok....hope things get better for amana
    You may notice it more on Amana because you work on or install more Amana.
    We had a very high failure rate on another brand and were told we were the only people having the problem. We kept pushing and the distributor fired us.
    They solved the problem.

We have also been seeing a rash of coil leaking. last year we sold 20% of one of the big names ECM AHU and I am seeing a 8.5% faille rate so far. I sure more are to follow.

I dont know what it is but i would like to see a coil that can handle 600lb pressures and not fail.I hope somone can come out with one soon,Its starting to get old having to explain to angry customers why their unit doesnt work after 4 months of being installed

Haven't had much problem with coil failures on Goodman/Amana (same thing). I did have one where the customer has very bad sulfur water that has turned all the pipes and the copper coil black. I am replacing it with a coated coil. Will have to wait some time to see if that fixes the coil problem. With Goodman/Aman you can request a coated coil. They are a lot more money (almost 3 times as much), but they will swap it out under warranty. It is done professional. The coil comes with this solid black coating all over the coil.

If you get more of these under warranyt ask for the coated coil. Sometimes they have to order it and it will take 2 weeks to get it.

I've been going back on a lot of Gibson, goodman, and amana equipment lately I don't personally install these. But I guess someone has been doing a lot. Seen several leaking coils in each all within a year up to 3 of install dates!

I haven't noticed on Amana, but I've noticed that Goodman doesn't use just one brand of compressor ie copeland scrolls. But you will have two units same model number one with a copeland scroll and one may have a tecumseh and it may be a recip..

Anyone else noticed that?

Leaky amana coils

We are still finding leaky coils after a year or alot less.Ran across 5 or 6 amana condensers at the hot discharge coming off the compressor at the first 90 down that makes a pee-trap.Are getting hair line cracks and leak (410a systems).I'm being patient they'll solve these issues soon.

Agreed that several manufacturers are having that problem lately. Can't recall a time in the last 36 yrs when so many manufacturers had that problem.

But it seems to me that some of the brands got hit really hard about 2-4 years ago and aren't having that many problems now.

Got a replacement AH coil in (wrong one of course) and it was paint or treated BLACK!