Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoarders

Hoarders

i'm sure some of you have seen the show "hoarders" on A&E. i have personally come across these types of people and was wondering if any of you guys had any stories to tell if you've had to perform a install or service for any of these folks.

i am absolutely fascinated by this disorder!
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

I'm the dead opposite! Drives my wife crazy! If I look at sumpthin for too long..... it becomes trash.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

My brothers somewhat that way. And I have a good friend that he and his wife are that way. Last time I visited them I had to sleep on the living room couch because every single room is filled with stuff they collect. Every single room!

Back in DC I use to run into tenants that were hoarders. Especially the older folks who live alone. I think it is there way of hanging on to the past. No rotten food or that kind of stuff....just tons and tons of stuff.

I've know a guy in Settle, come to think of it, that is the same way. He wanted to buy a house but didn't have the money for the down payment. His new wife made him go through all his boxes inside and outside of his present house and he found $10,000 in cash that he forget he had. So he purchased a new house.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

my father-in -law was that way. He was a welder. I am still hauling scrap metal off. Used lawn mower blades, bed rails, window unjts, about 30 cars, old welding tanks, propane tanks, aluminum framed windows, old tools, 2 buses, chainsaws, old trailers, boats, about 30 boat motors and lots more. I inherited an iron mine. At least its got some value.

In addition to some of the cat ladies we have under contract, we have a few hoarders too. There's one lady who comes to mind who seems to have every newspaper ever printed in her house. From the front door there's a path lined with newspapers to everywhere in the house. If they ever fell on you while you were navigating the trail, you'd be dead.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

I can not stand a dirty home. It's disgusting.

I've been in a couple styles of horders houses.

1st style is the kind who just never use the garbage... rotten food everywhere, soda cans all over, litter box's that weren't used for years because the cat wouldn't even step foot in them.
    Those are the worst by far.

the 2nd style is the people who keep "stuff", it's not really junk, but they sure don't need it. You know, 2-3 microwaves, a dozen toasters, all work, or can be fixed but never do get fixed. Those aren't as bad, I can stand clutter better than rotten stuff.

I go in phases. Sometimes I hang onto stuff with intentions of fixing it or giving it to someone who needs it... but other times you'd better hang onto the clothes you're wearing because that's liable to go in the garbage if you're not careful.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

I have one customer in mind. The woman has enough food to feed an ARMY in her basement. Just shelves of canned goods. Cases of salad dressing. Cases of cake mixes......it's insane. All that food and there are only three people living in the house. You know the stuff goes out of date before she can use it..... I'm sure she doesn't even know what all she has because it's just way too much.
    Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then.

Several years ago, I had a friend pass away unexpectedly. He was a pastor and lived in the church's parsonage. My kids and I volunteered to help his wife and son move their stuff out. The church gave them 6 months to move and we thought that was great. 8 months later, we were opening the house up on the weekends and letting people come in and get what they wanted. We moved truck and trailer loads of stuff out of that house and you name it, we moved at least three of them.. lol. I had never seen so much stuff in all my life. He still had ever pill bottle he had ever used in his life. When he saw something he liked on sale like shaving creme or something, he bought them all. I think we counted over 700 neckties. And it wasn't just him, it took us two weeks to clean all the dresses and shoes out of the attic.

We have Hoarder about every thirty residential calls. Some are wealthy and some are dirt poor. We just hold our nose and do the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chesapeake View Post
    In addition to some of the cat ladies we have under contract, we have a few hoarders too. There's one lady who comes to mind who seems to have every newspaper ever printed in her house. From the front door there's a path lined with newspapers to everywhere in the house. If they ever fell on you while you were navigating the trail, you'd be dead.
    Yea, ya gotta love the goat paths back to the funace......don't drop a tool....it will disappear FOREVER.

It really makes me want to quit my job somedays.just to see how some people live.I had a customer yesterday that said .I think my thermostat has a bug in it.i laughed and took the stat off the wall, and as soon as i took the subbase off three roaches came out of the wall.wtf

Quote Originally Posted by jweig20 View Post
    It really makes me want to quit my job somedays.just to see how some people live.I had a customer yesterday that said .I think my thermostat has a bug in it.i laughed and took the stat off the wall, and as soon as i took the subbase off three roaches came out of the wall.wtf
    LMAO...ya there is a difference between a hoarder and a hog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast