Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions for the experts

Can you please give insight and help make a recommendation as to which system to go with? Can you please base on the following factors: reliability, warranty, noise, and any other factors you might consider important.
    1) Rheem 14 SEER 3.5 ton R-410-a ac system with gas furnace.
    Condenser model#14AJL42A01.
    Coil model#RCFLHM4821AC.
    Gas furnace w/variable spd. model#80PS10ECR01.
    2) Amana 14 SEER 3.5 ton R-410a ac system w/gas furnace.
    Condenser model #ASX140421
    Coil CAPF4860C6
    Gas furnace w/variable spd. model#AMH80905CN
    3) Goodman 14 SEER 3.5 ton R-22 ac system w/gas furnace.
    Condenser model#GSC140421
    Coil model# CAPF4860C6
    Gas furnace model# GMS80905CN (non-variable spd)
    Thanks in advance for your assistance!

The 80PS10 is not variable speed. Nor is the AMH.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The 80PS10 is not variable speed. Nor is the AMH.
    Thanks for the info. Out of these 3-systems, which would you recommend and why?

Are all these options from the same contractor?

If not then you need to understand that a large part of reliability is installation quality. A large part of warranty coverage is the contractor being around to honor future warranty claims. Noise is also a function of the contractor picking the best installation site for the condenser.

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    Are all these options from the same contractor?

If not then you need to understand that a large part of reliability is installation quality. A large part of warranty coverage is the contractor being around to honor future warranty claims. Noise is also a function of the contractor picking the best installation site for the condenser.
    Yes, all quotes are from same contractor. Company has been in business for approx. 20+ yrs. in the area and seem to be a reputable co. A few other co-workers have used this co. in past and seem to have good experience. The only other question I have is that two of the proposals incl. replacing the refrig. lines and the other proposal indicates connecting to existing lines. The system I currently have uses R-22 and the new equip. uses R-410-a. Any advice?

I'm partial to Rheem as a rule, but not that particular combo. The warranty on the Amana and Goodman will be better. As far as linesets, looks like you may be on a budget so if they are big enough, just have them cleaned out and re-used.

Quote Originally Posted by rgar2019 View Post
    Yes, all quotes are from same contractor. Company has been in business for approx. 20+ yrs. in the area and seem to be a reputable co. A few other co-workers have used this co. in past and seem to have good experience. The only other question I have is that two of the proposals incl. replacing the refrig. lines and the other proposal indicates connecting to existing lines. The system I currently have uses R-22 and the new equip. uses R-410-a. Any advice?
    Definately replace the lines unless their are major issues like them being under concrete. Linesets should not be re-used going R-22 to R-410 and I would prefer to replace them even going R-22 to R-22.

Linesets are relatively inexpensive compared to the price of the equipment. Don't take shortcuts!!

I'm a Rheem fan too but since you are comparing builder Rheem, it is more comparable to Goodman. The Amana stuff is much fancier with more features, like a RGPN or RANL-JEZ instead of the 80PS and AJL. The Rheem equipment you are quoted should be very reliable if installed properly and has 10 year parts warranty to the original owner.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Not pro. HO. Just some thoughts based on my recent purchase.

Why just one contractor? How do you know that his price on any of those brands is competitive. Seems like he is throwing a lot of stuff against the wall to see if one sticks.

Not interested in $1500 tax credit? You'll need to get an AHRI certification # for each to check and a manufacturer's certificate to satisfy the IRS, before you sign the proposal of course. Energy Star requires for AC/furnace tax credit:

Split Systems:
    EER >=13
    SEER >= 16

Natural Gas or Propane Furnace
    AFUE >= 95

No mention of manufacturer rebates, utility or government credits.

Rheem 14 SEER 3.5 ton R-410-a ac system with gas furnace.
    Condenser model#14AJL42A01.

This actually a WeatherKing model.

It's not neccesary to replace the line set they can do a r-11 flush and you will never have a problem the amana is a glorified goodman which is a very low quality unit the rheem is by far the best of the three also is rated consumer reports number one for least amount of repairs and service calls.

Quote Originally Posted by cpowers View Post
    rheem is by far the best of the three also is rated consumer reports number one for least amount of repairs and service calls.
    Just my experience, but consumer reports tends to favor the product that pays them the most. But I do agree the rheem is the best of the three.
    “I walked a mile with pleasure, she chatted all the way. But left me none the wiser, for all she had to say. I walked a mile with sorrow and not a word said she. But oh the things I learned from her, when sorrow walked with me.” -Robert Browning Hamilton

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” Romans 8:18

Quote Originally Posted by cpowers View Post
    It's not neccesary to replace the line set they can do a r-11 flush.
    That's what a hack would do. You're spending nearly 5 figures on a new system and accepting the old lineset that could likely be replaced for the 3 figure range???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast