Thread: Do installers usually adjust the airflow?`

Post Likes

Do installers usually adjust the airflow?`

Was wondering what the general consensus on this was, with input by both techs and installers. I was talking to someone I know who happens to do installs, and he didn't seem to realize the importance in adjusting anything from factory settings. An 80k/3 ton furnace with a 2 ton condenser would then be getting 600 cfm/ton (or whatever the ductwork would handle). He thinks of it as just airflow over the coil, and wouldn't bother adjusting anything. Is this usually the case you find? With variable speed blowers this would be especially important. That's why there are dipswitches. Makes me think twice about recommending a larger air handler for improved efficiency if its just going to be left at its 5 ton airflow setting, or whatever it may be, with a 3 ton condenser.

Post Likes

Unhappy Depends on the Tech ... as always and ...

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    An 80k/3 ton furnace with a 2 ton condenser would then be getting 600 cfm/ton (or whatever the ductwork would handle). He thinks of it as just airflow over the coil, and wouldn't bother adjusting anything. Is this usually the case you find?

Makes me think twice about recommending a larger air handler for improved efficiency if its just going to be left
    You'll find many who can not discern the true
    differences between air, error and ear.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I'll say none, if any. Unless they're told to. And how to do it. (not meant in an insulting way)

Post Likes
    From what we see, almost all are left on high for cooling. Every time we get a new installer he wonders why we take static readings and the install paperwork has instructions on speeds. Most are shocked if they are told to put a blower on low!

Post Likes
    Same here. Lots of blowers are left on high no matter what size A/C is installed.

Post Likes
    However it comes from the factory is how it is left. I went on a survey two days ago and measured air flow. When I delivered the bid yesterday, He said I was the only one of 3 bidders who tested air flow.

Our new power company program is going to require air flow testing. I am on the advisory board and have been pushing for that for years. November 1 it starts. Low interest loans and an up front rebate for the homeowner. The power company is going to provide training for the contractors who wish to be involved.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    We have a progran with the power co that gives a rebate to the customer only after the system is tested and adjusted to <10% of manufacturer rating. A power co rep told me that some of the dealers can't even fudge the number right. Go figure!!

As for us we test and adjust every install!

Post Likes
    I agree, most leave dipswitches on factory settings..even here where lowering the fan speed makes a dehumidification world of difference.
    too many folks think that variable speed is going to solve all the issues.
    its like this in many industries..foam insulation companies promise
    'total encapsulation systems', but do not test the jobs when completed..and want to argue with you when you do test.
    people have to have the want to do better, the ones who don't..make more work for those of us who do.
    good to see you Ryan...ever think about changing employment?
    as I seem to remember..you are a home owner who had to self educate to get a good
    install??
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes

Smile Nice to here about SOME Progrsss

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    \\

When I delivered the bid yesterday, He said I was the only one of 3 bidders who tested air flow.

Our new power company program is going to require air flow testing.

The power company is going to provide training for the contractors who wish to be involved.
    Power company is Progress Energy _ _ _ _ _?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Power company is Progress Energy _ _ _ _ _?
    No Dan, It is Santee Cooper. But I understand that Progress Energy is bringing some similar programs back. But I don't work in their service areas.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    The customer generally gets what they pay for. Many homeowners go with low bid. Low bid generally means no heat loss, no blower door (so total guess at sizing), no mastic, slam the furnace in and go. Definitely no balancing - no time in the budget for that!

Orphaned water heater? No worst case CAZ either.

Another nice thing about the Infinity - tells you static and airflow at each stage.

Post Likes
    A long time ago a misinformed guy, who was an otherwise excellent tech.....told me 'a little extra airflow won't hurt , it will help overcome the duct system'.

Of course that's not what we want to do.

Problem is...it blows the moisture off the coil..often creating MOLD. And more noise!

Post Likes
    didn't first few yrs in install. wouldn't leave a job later w/o doing airflow as part of startup. Even when replace motor or feel there's and issue will check on service calls as well.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Our new system was installed last week. The installers checked the airflow on the old system before they started the job, then after the work was complete on new ductwork and split system. I was very impressed with their attention to detail and the excellent job they did. (Oh and FWIW, they were the "middle of the road" as far as job cost estimate.)

Post Likes
    Same here with leaving it on high....."the black wire is cooling!"

I am currently working on new installation check sheets that will include static pressure and CFM readings and set-ups for the installers...

As of right now, my installer ALWAYS sets the airflow properly....

(I'm the installer.... )

I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    My installers left the default black-cool, blue-heat & yellow fan. Needless to say, It has been changed since. My installer didn't set up the 2 stage furnace properly either.... they set my thermostat up as a single stage and left the P2 on None which means it never would have kicked up to second stage.

Post Likes
    A company is a family (TEAM), which all members must protect the other so the installer must know their equipment when installing & how to set it up so when the service tech comes out (part of the team) its a smooth pm he does & not doing anothers job. ALWAYS QUALITY NO MATTER WHAT!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in