Opinion on Carrier Comfort model 16 seer

Any opinions, considerations or thoughts?

Thanks!

Would you buy a Mercedes Benz with crank windows? My thought is either step up to Infinity or go Goodman (or one of the other "Chevy" type manufacturers).
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

That bad?

No, that good.

I think Carrier makes really good stuff, but why would go 3/4 of the way there? The Carrier rep's will tell you all kinds of compelling reasons the equipment is great, but in my not so valuable opinion most of the equipment out there is quite good.

Carrier Infinity does things no other equipment does. It's hard to explain - but it matters. It truly communicates. It is a system. If you are going to pay the Carrier premium, get what you can get from no other manufacturer.

If it's not in your budget, cut back on the equipment not the installation company.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

What furnace or air handler do you currently have in the house ?

I got a Carrier Comfort Series 16 SEER system installed in the Spring. It seems to be good equipment so far. With the contractor I worked with, for some reason it was about the same price for 16 SEER Carrier Comfort Series and a 16 SEER Goodman, so I went with Carrier. I would have got a Goodman if it would have saved me money.

One thing I like is both the compressor and air handler are pretty quiet.

One note about the air handler - it comes with a spun fiberglass washable air filter. Most would agree that this type of filter doesn't filter the air very well. Carrier doesn't recommend replacing it with a more restrictive (effective) filter due to air flow restrictions. So, it's probably not a good system if you want your A/C to provide good air filtration for allergens or whatever.

I live in a 1200 sq ft rowhouse built in 1947 where the duct work was retrofitted in about 20 years ago (my system is only 2 tons). It has just one, centrally located return grill. Given that i have a smaller house with probably imperfect duct work, I didn't think I'd really benefit from a more fancy system. Plus, my wife and I aren't huge A/C users...we prefer to keep the windows open as much as possible and our threshold for closing the windows and turning on the A/C is higher than most people.

Personally, I would ask myself some practical questions when thinking about if a more fancy system would be worth the money. Such as how many months out of the year do you use A/C?
    Are you going to sell the house anytime soon?
    Are you really sensitive to a perfect climate in your home or are you happy enough as long as it is basically cool?
    Does a few thousand dollars mean a lot to your budget, or do you make enough money where that isn't a big deal?