Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: York Affinity Modulating Furnace and AC Review

Post Likes

York Affinity Modulating Furnace and AC Review

This post is to share our experience with York products. We hope others find it helpful. We replaced 20-year-old York products with their top-of-the-line Affinity modulating gas furnace and 2-stage AC. Shortly after the install, the furnace whined, made siren sounds, and vibrated the entire home. This went on for over 500 days. The repairman came over 10 times in 4 months this year alone. Changed out the venter motor 6 times. The 6th one started making strange noises. He said he wasn’t going to fix it and just left it that way and went home. A non-HVAC friend helped us diagnose the vibration problem over the phone, just by placing our hand on the top and sides of the cabinet and report if we felt vibrations. We had to tell the repairman what to check. The blower wheel was bent from day one. The ECM motor was also bad. The AC dimmed the lights when it came on, sucked the power out of the house. Repairman checked it over and said that was normal. The new 2-stage 15 SEER AC was an energy hog ... we used more kWh to cool the home in over 20 years (and it was a cooler summer than the prior year with the old equipment) and saved no kWh to heat, even with a variable speed ECM motor. Customer service is even worse. Said we were trying to compare apples with oranges for energy savings. Common sense would tell you that you'd save money over your old equipment ... even their brochures say that. York uses false and misleading advertising ... puffery at its finest. They don't train their service people very well to properly diagnose problems. York knowingly packages defective parts so the repairmen think they’re fixing stuff but they’re just putting in another bad part. Be aware that York customer service requires your Social Security number or Driver's License to get your money back plus adds a gag order. We took a different route to get our money back. Their products made our home unbearable. Tried to sleep with earplugs and with the bath fan running all night. The bed starting vibrating at 2-3 AM because it took the furnace 6 hours to reach 68 degrees by 8 AM. York told us not to buy their products again and we didn't. Happy to have this garbage out of the house. York has really gone downhill. Our old York system was reliable and quiet and more energy efficient than their new products. They could care less if their products cause you and your family any discomfort and lack of a good night’s sleep for over a year. They don't care about customer loyalty so save yourself a lot of frustration and buy something else. This was the worst purchase we ever made.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you've had a real frustration. What did you replace this with and how do you like it?

Post Likes
    So let me get this straight, York gave you your money back? And what was the different route you took?

Post Likes
    We got a top-of-the-line Lennox modulating furnace and the super quiet Lennox AC. The installation was absolutely top notch and the products are excellent. We used the lowest number of kWh in 20 years this summer with the new AC, as it should be. We would highly recommend Lennox ... no weird noises, no vibrations, we can sleep again and now even save money and energy.

Post Likes
    We filed an online claim with the Consumer Protection agency. The Better Business Bureau does not assist in getting money back to consumers. It's probably still a good idea to let other consumers know about your experiences by filing a complaint with the BBB.

Post Likes
    Sounds like most of the problem was still with the contractor you choose.

Did they ever bring an actual York service rep with them?

Glad your problems are solved.

Post Likes
    The local York distributor came over once and said the vibrations were from our refrigerator. We paid $60 to have the refrigerator checked out and there was nothing wrong with it. The York rep was in the loop via emails. He obviously didn't offer any help to our repairman as to what else might be causing the vibrations. For people that work on furnaces day in and day out, we thought they'd be able to troubleshoot a problem like this. We had to ask them to examine the air circulation blower, which turned out to be defective and with a bent wheel when it was installed.

Post Likes
    My area. Its not hard to get the actual York service rep out.

In your area, it apparently is. Its not like that every where though.

Sorry for your experience.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLIE BOB View Post
    The local York distributor came over once and said the vibrations were from our refrigerator. We paid $60 to have the refrigerator checked out and there was nothing wrong with it. The York rep was in the loop via emails. He obviously didn't offer any help to our repairman as to what else might be causing the vibrations. For people that work on furnaces day in and day out, we thought they'd be able to troubleshoot a problem like this. We had to ask them to examine the air circulation blower, which turned out to be defective and with a bent wheel when it was installed.
    Sorry to hear of your experiance. I wonder why the furnace did not get changed out early on. I have been installing the same line for years and have only had 1 bad blower wheel.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    We wondered the same thing. It just went on and on. Total frustration. York never offered to replace the equipment. In fact, they required we just purchase a non Johnson Controls brand. What a thing to tell a long-time customer that was formerly totally satisfied with their products. Customer service said we had an extended warranty. So, in other words, what's your problem as you are covered for unlimited repairs. The problem is that we didn't want the repairman there every other week ... a total disruption and no improvement to the situation. We just didn't want this to continue for years on end. The warranty failed its essential purpose yet customer service suggested what's our problem since we are covered. The lady just didn't get it. This whole ordeal was horrendous. I truly hope our information will help other consumers that are considering York products. The entire company is just defunct.

Post Likes
    even their brochures say that. York uses false and misleading advertising ... puffery at its finest. They don't train their service people very well to properly diagnose problems. York knowingly packages defective parts so the repairmen think they’re fixing stuff but they’re just putting in another bad part.
    You got a bad contractor and installation - can't blame york for that.

Any piece of equipment won't function near rated capacity or efficiency if it was poorly installed or has defective parts.

The vibration from the bad blower wheel could have killed the ecm motor.

Post Likes
    We totally agree with you. Torture is illegal in this country yet we endured non-stop irritation for over 500 days. We begged, we pleaded to fix the problems. It was the most horrific experience ever. It's interesting that the new AC doesn't dim our lights. So many things were wrong. The contractor has more than 20 years experience with York so we trusted him. Unfortunately, it's hard to know who to trust these days. That's why we want others to know about our experience. What you expect to be a great home improvement can lead to a real nightmare. Thanks to all for your kind words and responses. We're glad to end this bad situation.

Post Likes
    Wish we could hear the contractor's, and York's side of the story.

Never had a problem with York standing behind their equipment.

Post Likes

Exclamation Telling and Finding the truth is already apparent

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Wish we could hear the contractor's, and York's side of the story.

Never had a problem with York standing behind their equipment.
    I would _ _ NOT _ _ like to hear the OBVIOUS LIES from this York contractor.

How easy would it have been to replace the air handler
    versus the multple trips to " _ do nothing" ?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    I would _ _ NOT _ _ like to hear the OBVIOUS LIES from this York contractor.

How easy would it have been to replace the air handler
    versus the multple trips to " _ do nothing" ?
    Then I would say.

You wouldn't need to listen, or read his reply.

How easy. Generally not very difficult. But, his distributor, may have been unwilling to endorse, and provide another furnace.

So the contractor may have been reluctant to eat the cost himself. And not be sure if the new unit would do the same or not.

Post Likes
    We totally agree with you. Torture is illegal in this country yet we endured non-stop irritation for over 500 days. We begged, we pleaded to fix the problems. It was the most horrific experience ever. It's interesting that the new AC doesn't dim our lights. So many things were wrong. The contractor has more than 20 years experience with York so we trusted him. Unfortunately, it's hard to know who to trust these days. That's why we want others to know about our experience. What you expect to be a great home improvement can lead to a real nightmare. Thanks to all for your kind words and responses. We're glad to end this bad situation.
    ________

I read this entire thread and others pertaining to York furnaces because we're in the market for a new gas furnace. Nothing in your account excuses the prolonged poor treatment you received from York. There are actually three sides to this story. If we assume you're a loon (I don't), and your contractor goofed, York still should have handled this situation immediately. They didn't, it went on for 500 days (!), and that's all I need to know. I'm glad you finally went to the Consumer Protection agency and didn't acquiesce to York's demand of a gag order. And I am grateful that you took the time to blog about your experience here. We wont' be getting a York. Thanks for the heads up!

Post Likes

Thumbs up REPUTATION DAMAGE

We replaced 20-year-old York products with their top-of-the-line Affinity modulating gas furnace and 2-stage AC. Shortly after the install, the furnace whined, made siren sounds,

The repairman came over 10 times in 4 months this year alone. Changed out the venter motor 6 times. The 6th one started making strange noises.

The blower wheel was bent from day one. The ECM motor was also bad.

The AC dimmed the lights when it came on, sucked the power out of the house. Repairman checked it over and said that was normal.

Customer service is even worse. Said we were trying to compare apples with oranges for energy savings.

Be aware that York customer service requires your Social Security number or Driver's License to get your money back plus adds a gag order.

York has really gone downhill. Our old York system was reliable and quiet and more energy efficient than their new products. They could care less if their products cause you and your family any discomfort and lack of a good night’s sleep for over a year. They don't care about customer loyalty so save yourself a lot of frustration and buy something else. This was the worst purchase we ever made.
    I guess York distributor did not take into account that 5,000 people would review the details of a failed fix.

Who would not learn from 7 motors in a unit in 16 weeks ! !!
    I believe one might come up with a term such as insanity to describe these continuing events.

I believe a large % of the 5,000 thread viewers will not be calling any York contractor.

PERCEPTION
    IS _ THE REALITY_.

It also something like ... guilt by association.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I wonder if the lennox unit that was installed was the same size as the york that was removed also was any duct modifications made when the lennox was installed. also I've replaced bad blower wheels on most brands. about the only thing York does is stamp out the steel and install parts from vendors just like all manufactures . there is more than just a lemon York unit to the story

Post Likes
    6 vent motors replacement. I wish it's a joke.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=dan sw fl;11305602]

I guess York distributor did not take into account that 5,000 people would review the details of a failed fix.
    ________

Yes they did, which is why they demanded that BillyBob sign a gag order. We'll never know how many other customers have signed gag orders from York, we'll not hear their stories of product failure.

We live in an area where York is king. They scratch the contractors' backs real good and have the favor returned. A highly reputable contractor here installs only York. He doesn't even state on his website that he can or will install anything else. Another company gives a guarantee to replace the gas furnace within two years if it doesn't perform as stated, that company will apparently eat the cost if necessary to get our business. Which makes me wonder how many products, not just York, are questionable to begin with? I already know they "don't make 'em like they used to" and that proper installation is paramount. But how many brands are simply badly designed from the start? I'd like to hear thoughtful and honest replies to that question from objective, longtime professionals, those not biased in favor of any particular company brand, those aware of the conflict of interest given their line of work but can still see and think through it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in