Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Charm City--the city that bleeds
    Posts
    2,790

    Welcome to your police state

    Random traffic stops. Welcome to the terrordome.

    Here is a quote from the enforcement agency-- Officials said in a press release: "Obvious signs of unlawful behavior from any motorist ... will be addressed."
    Isn't that already taking place?
    What need have we to be stopped and checked additionally?



    what's with the "several other agencies" if the primary agency is the Central Iowa Traffic Safety Task Force ?

    Assumption of innocence precludes this action.

    Who stands for civil liberties?
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,843
    Who stands for civil liberties?
    Libertarians, of course.

    Here's an article written by one of my favorite Libertarians; Radly Balko, about 4 years ago.

    The Farce of Freedom

    "It would be difficult to come up with a list of exaggerated predictions for 2006 because we've entered a peculiar time when it's not really even possible to exaggerate the threats to economic, personal, and political freedom. Perhaps the tide will turn this year. But don't hold your breath."
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Charm City--the city that bleeds
    Posts
    2,790
    All in the name of the public good.
    From there is it so far of a journey to
    Papieren, bitte?

    I don't see how traffic stops accomplish more good than they break down our resistance to the lack of privacy.
    On a public road? Yes, and presumed innocent. Sorry, said assumed in the OP. Presumed innocent.

    So the first thing the statists bark is, ...."if you're not doing anything wrong, then..."

    It's sad and cynical, since it's well-known that local law enforcement can't inquire about some things such as immigration status, but they still can pick and choose other statuses.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    392
    This has been going on for years. Why is there concern now about these procedures. Truckers have been pulled over for safety checks. Weigh stations. Sobriety checkpoints. Safety belt checkpoints.

    If your family was killed by a drunk driver or a truck that was unsafe then what would your response be ? If an illegal vehicle driver killed your family what would the response be...get the point. Maybe someone will not die because of these intrusions, just maybe it might be your family member............

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Charm City--the city that bleeds
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by bob mel View Post
    This has been going on for years.
    Does that provide legitimacy?
    Why is there concern now about these procedures.
    By the apparent tone it would seem you've been lulled to sleep.
    Truckers have been pulled over for safety checks. Weigh stations. Sobriety checkpoints. Safety belt checkpoints.

    If your family was killed by a drunk driver or a truck that was unsafe then what would your response be ?
    Kill 'em all.
    If an illegal vehicle driver killed your family what would the response be...
    This point could have some relevance were it not for the fact that local law enforcement is not allowed to check immigration status. In fact, this is an underlying point of the OP. In central Iowa, the scenario you described happens regularly.
    get the point. Maybe someone will not die because of these intrusions, just maybe it might be your family member............
    I get your point. It's got a strange reassuring aspect to it.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,839
    Quote Originally Posted by bob mel View Post
    This has been going on for years. Why is there concern now about these procedures. Truckers have been pulled over for safety checks. Weigh stations. Sobriety checkpoints. Safety belt checkpoints.

    If your family was killed by a drunk driver or a truck that was unsafe then what would your response be ? If an illegal vehicle driver killed your family what would the response be...get the point. Maybe someone will not die because of these intrusions, just maybe it might be your family member............
    Well why don't we lower the alcohol content to 0.01 for DUI and execute first offenders. Would that satisfy the defenders of the police state. I was siting in court once for a minor speeding ticket because at the time of the ticket I did not have proof of insurance with me and I got to hear cases being tried.

    A line of prisoners were herded in and one who wasn't in chains because he was on crutches minus one leg. They heard his case first. The judge had previously sentenced him to a years probation and drivers license suspended until he could either pay off the fine and finish probation.

    He had been in a one vehicle accident, hit a tree, lost his leg and had been drinking. Nobody but him involved. If I was the judge I would have said go and drink no more you have been punished far worse than I could have for your first offense.

    But no he through the book at him. He was back now because his elderly father had a heart condition and taking medication that would not allow him to drive and he had a small business to run to help himself and his son now with only one leg. Well his son was driving him to various places with no drivers license and was stopped by guess what a roadside police check point.

    He was pulled out of the car and arrested on the spot. Now this same judge heard his case again. His public defender told the story (The young man could not even afford a prosthesis.) and showed doctor and medical records with sworn statements that all this was true.

    What did the judge do well like a good Nazi he threw the book at him again. He was sentenced to serve the remainder of his probation in jail another $1,000 fine and his dad had to give up his only source of income. I guess this is justice in the new modern socialist police state. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,407
    The problem with this entire scenario is this:

    I have lived in this area for 45 years, I can get you around this town in no time at all.

    In the last 45 years I have seen maybe 10 "traffic safety checks" in this area. In the last 8 months I have seen at LEAST 3 per month.

    The last one I went through the nice State Trooper asked for my drivers License and I asked why? He said what are you a smart a$$? I said no, but you have no reason to suspect me of any crime what-so-ever and I have a 4th Amendment right against unlawful search and seizure. he said Move on? I said don't you want to see my travel papers, he said in a very stern voice Get out of here........

    so I left the a-holes

    And it just so happens this very morning the military is performing "maneuvers"

    http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1134292.shtml?cat=566

    I wonder why the military fells the need to do this is IN TOWN is beyond me, I wonder what they are really "practicing" for???
    LOVE has four letters

    So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,839
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    The problem with this entire scenario is this:

    I have lived in this area for 45 years, I can get you around this town in no time at all.

    In the last 45 years I have seen maybe 10 "traffic safety checks" in this area. In the last 8 months I have seen at LEAST 3 per month.

    The last one I went through the nice State Trooper asked for my drivers License and I asked why? He said what are you a smart a$$? I said no, but you have no reason to suspect me of any crime what-so-ever and I have a 4th Amendment right against unlawful search and seizure. he said Move on? I said don't you want to see my travel papers, he said in a very stern voice Get out of here........

    so I left the a-holes

    And it just so happens this very morning the military is performing "maneuvers"

    http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1134292.shtml?cat=566

    I wonder why the military fells the need to do this is IN TOWN is beyond me, I wonder what they are really "practicing" for???
    Hey I'm surprised they didn't have a dog check out your car and you to. But then again you shouldn't have been in "Greece". Sorry can't help it too funny. Well at least you knew how to stand up for your rights. Good post.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,425
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Well why don't we lower the alcohol content to 0.01 for DUI and execute first offenders. Would that satisfy the defenders of the police state. I was siting in court once for a minor speeding ticket because at the time of the ticket I did not have proof of insurance with me and I got to hear cases being tried.

    A line of prisoners were herded in and one who wasn't in chains because he was on crutches minus one leg. They heard his case first. The judge had previously sentenced him to a years probation and drivers license suspended until he could either pay off the fine and finish probation.

    He had been in a one vehicle accident, hit a tree, lost his leg and had been drinking. Nobody but him involved. If I was the judge I would have said go and drink no more you have been punished far worse than I could have for your first offense.

    But no he through the book at him. He was back now because his elderly father had a heart condition and taking medication that would not allow him to drive and he had a small business to run to help himself and his son now with only one leg. Well his son was driving him to various places with no drivers license and was stopped by guess what a roadside police check point.

    He was pulled out of the car and arrested on the spot. Now this same judge heard his case again. His public defender told the story (The young man could not even afford a prosthesis.) and showed doctor and medical records with sworn statements that all this was true.

    What did the judge do well like a good Nazi he threw the book at him again. He was sentenced to serve the remainder of his probation in jail another $1,000 fine and his dad had to give up his only source of income. I guess this is justice in the new modern socialist police state. Thank you very much.
    So you beleive there should be no consequences for driving drunk?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by bob mel View Post
    This has been going on for years. Why is there concern now about these procedures. Truckers have been pulled over for safety checks. Weigh stations. Sobriety checkpoints. Safety belt checkpoints.

    If your family was killed by a drunk driver or a truck that was unsafe then what would your response be ? If an illegal vehicle driver killed your family what would the response be...get the point. Maybe someone will not die because of these intrusions, just maybe it might be your family member............
    People like you are who worry me. The law can do no wrong in your eyes it is perfectly all right to speed 100 mph. down the road just to see them turn in to their driveway are stop my son walking down the road to tell him that he needs to keep someone else dog out of the road.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,839
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    So you beleive there should be no consequences for driving drunk?
    Funny post there big. Where did I say or imply that? I am curious how your mind works. I guess you think the kid got got what he deserved and justice was served. I just believe in reasonable justice.

    I felt like the young man losing his leg was punishment enough. But obviously you believe no one should ever be given a second chance and his life should be over for committing one mistake and hurting only himself.

    I think a first offender provided he has not hurt anyone else should be allowed to pay a reasonable fine go to DUI school and be allowed to keep his job instead of being incarcerated and in most cases losing his job because of it. Besides most first offenders think the law is not to drive while drunk and not while "legally" drunk and in most cases on the lower end of the meter they are not the same.

    Most companies now will fire you if you miss work because you are in jail. This happened 20 years ago to the kid. Now he would automatically be locked up for at least 3 days and maybe a week or two for the first offence regardless of the circumstances.

    Now lets go ahead and wipe out young folks who don't know better and destroy them on there first offense. What a nice guy you appear to be. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event