Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"A letter from HELL"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kq2xbMHcOw

Here's something for all of us who call ourselves Christians to think about and for all of you who don't claim Christianity to think about also.

WARNING: Contents will provoke serious thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Eagle View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kq2xbMHcOw

Here's something for all of us who call ourselves Christians to think about and for all of you who don't claim Christianity to think about also.

WARNING: Contents will provoke serious thought!
    Then another piece of fictional art by a Possibilianist is the book "SUM" or "I am," as in Cogito ergo Sum.

Possibilians are those that celebrate the vastness of our ignorance, are unwilling to commit to any particular made-up story, and take pleasure in entertaining multiple hypotheses.

The term "Possibilian" was popularized by the neuroscientist David Eagleman after his friend Robbie Parrish came up with the term while sitting on a balcony looking out over the ocean.

The manifesto of the Possibilian movement is SUM, the bestselling work of fiction by David Eagleman.

Eagleman is finishing his next book, Why I am a Possibilian for publication in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sum_%28book%29

Scare tactics and guilt, stock in trade for religions.

Back when I was incarcerated in the Baptist Church, the gospel sharps called it the "Unpardonable Sin." Lurid tales of motorcycle wrecks, drownings and other assorted bloody mayhem all designed to scare teenagers into heaven (and to get them off those noisy damn bikes and quit eating right before hopping into the water).
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

Smile What it's all about

If you read the Bible, you know there is no such thing as "unpardonable sin". Even Hitler or Stalin could have entered heaven if they had repented and accepted Jesus Christ into their hearts. Jesus teaches to evangelize by spreading the Gospel. There will always be those who refuse to listen or believe as that is their right. They will get their reward in the afterlife, which the Bible tells us is something like what this piece tried to show.

You can believe what you want, use whatever you want to justify your lives and your philosophy. That's fine. That's your decision. For those who listen and believe, there is the incomprehensible love of Jesus Christ always there for us no matter what we do. It is impossible for God not to love us. He created us and his purpose for us is for us to love him back. If you do, heaven is your reward. If you don't love him back and accept Jesus Christ into your heart as your personal Lord and Savior, then that is your choice and you must live with it now and forever.

Marc and Geer, God will continue to love you inspite of your postings here and what is in your hearts right up until the day you die. If you end up in Hell, then it will be by your choice--not his. That's all. The choice is yours.

Have a great day,
    Hearthman

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Marc and Geer, God will continue to love you inspite of your postings here and what is in your hearts right up until the day you die. If you end up in Hell, then it will be by your choice--not his. That's all. The choice is yours.
    Firstly, the whole idea is a perverse rejection of the human spirit that has evolved. 99.9% of evolution has failed - we are the success and our innate moral and ethical attributes contributed to our survival. The 99.9% of this planet's life creation was an utter failure.

Secondly, it can only be by a god's choice that we would either end up in heaven or hell. Leaving the choice in such dichotomous form suggests an indifferent god. Neither loving nor hating.

Thirdly, you have absolutely no evidence of any gods whatsoever and on that count any attempt to represent any god in any fashion will always be idolatrous. If you happen to think there might be at least one god then you are better off saying and assuming nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc O'Brien View Post
    Firstly, the whole idea is a perverse rejection of the human spirit that has evolved. 99.9% of evolution has failed - we are the success and our innate moral and ethical attributes contributed to our survival. The 99.9% of this planet's life creation was an utter failure.

Secondly, it can only be by a god's choice that we would either end up in heaven or hell. Leaving the choice in such dichotomous form suggests an indifferent god. Neither loving nor hating.

Thirdly, you have absolutely no evidence of any gods whatsoever and on that count any attempt to represent any god in any fashion will always be idolatrous. If you happen to think there might be at least one god then you are better off saying and assuming nothing.
    Marc, you use the term "human spirit" and that it has evolved. Perhaps you would be so kind as to define this "human spirit" you speak of and then explain how something non-physical evolved or came to be from physical matter?

How do evolutionists explain the appearance of the non-physical aspects of mankind from the physical matter of the universe?
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

Thumbs up

Kudos!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Marc, you use the term "human spirit" and that it has evolved. Perhaps you would be so kind as to define this "human spirit" you speak of
    Take a look at a school of piranha. They don't attack each other. Drop some meat into the water and they go crazy, it seems, in a feeding frenzy. But during the entire frenzy none of them eat, even accidentally, any of the others. Previous species of piranha that did also eat each other of course did not survive to evolve. They are part of the 99.9% of species that are evolutionary duds. They had a "spirit", as in a way of approaching life and their kin, but it was not conducive to the survival or prevalence of the species.

Babies in hospitals cry or laugh in unison. An innate emotional function conducive to survival of the species - also known as empathy - supporting your kin. Mothers who drip or let down milk when they even hear other babies cry. People who instinctively reach out to help others in distress.

I don't need to go on. This is the human spirit. Every animal species has had to have such a spirit in order to be the 0.1% of all species ever lived that survives still today.

and then explain how something non-physical evolved or came to be from physical matter?
    Not sure what you are talking about? Are you talking about ghosts? I don't believe in ghosts.

How do evolutionists explain the appearance of the non-physical aspects of mankind from the physical matter of the universe?
    I doubt there are any such things as non-physical aspects. I appreciate the plank scale concept of quantum electro dynamics and its randomness likely accounting for "free will" and entanglement accounting for premonitions and esp like events. But this again is physical, but energy, in the sense that matter and energy are interchangeable.
    Last edited by Marc O'Brien; 09-11-2009 at 08:19 PM.

God and I have an arrangement.

It works out well for the both of us. Not even in the fine print is it stipulated that I need to follow the direction of this church or that.

God uses His tool of Evolution to weed out Herd Followers.

Here's proof......http://www.darwinawards.com/
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Take a look at a school of piranha. They don't attack each other. Drop some meat into the water and they go crazy, it seems, in a feeding frenzy. But during the entire frenzy none of them eat, even accidentally, any of the others. Previous species of piranha that did also eat each other of course did not survive to evolve. They are part of the 99.9% of species that are evolutionary duds. They had a "spirit", as in a way of approaching life and their kin, but it was not conducive to the survival or prevalence of the species.

Babies in hospitals cry or laugh in unison. An innate emotional function conducive to survival of the species - also known as empathy - supporting your kin. Mothers who drip or let down milk when they even hear other babies cry. People who instinctively reach out to help others in distress.

I don't need to go on. This is the human spirit. Every animal species has had to have such a spirit in order to be the 0.1% of all species ever lived that survives still today.

Not sure what you are talking about? Are you talking about ghosts? I don't believe in ghosts.

I doubt there are any such things as non-physical aspects. I appreciate the plank scale concept of quantum electro dynamics and its randomness likely accounting for "free will" and entanglement accounting for premonitions and esp like events. But this again is physical, but energy, in the sense that matter and energy are interchangeable.
    What I am driving at is do you believe that you are 100% matter, material stuff and have no spiritual or non-material part?

Is your intellect, personality, thought life, emotional side not the result of a non-material or spiritual person? Or, do even those things simply result from chemical-biological reactions?

Or, is there yet some other view you hold?
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    If you end up in Hell, then it will be by your choice--not his. That's all. The choice is yours.
    If I wind up in Hell, then your god rigged the game and is no more worthy of worship than a circus carny.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

While I believe that we should be an active witness---not along the same lines as the angry Ruckmanites that scream at everyone from the street corners near here---, our witness should be just as much one of word AND deed.

Why is it I can count on the car cutting me off will have a Jesus fish stuck on it?

Why is there a beer wagon at the local church's Octoberfest?

In the end though, no one screams out from hell that they were ignorant, misled, or that their friend didn't give them enough Chic Tracts...

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. ---(Romans 1:18-21, emphasis mine)
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    What I am driving at is do you believe that you are 100% matter, material stuff and have no spiritual or non-material part?

Is your intellect, personality, thought life, emotional side not the result of a non-material or spiritual person? Or, do even those things simply result from chemical-biological reactions?

Or, is there yet some other view you hold?
    Hugh, I think I have explained enough about what I suspect is the case.

You certainly use the word "spiritual" different to how I do. You lean toward mysticism. I do not. Now I do believe that biochemistry is really a particular branch of physics and with regards to conscience biochemistry is consulting more and more with physicists regarding the quantum nature of conscience. I'm sure that within the next few hundred years we will have a good and clear explanation. Remember, they once claimed that electricity would never be understood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast