Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    for those of you who don't know, "evolution" was a theory by Charles Darwin that was hastily adopted by Karl Marx and Engles as they scrambled for a non-religious explanation of life.
    I am an atheist precisely because I consider the evidence available to me is conclusive in terms of probabilities per Bertrand Russel's philosophies (mathematician/philosopher).

How can we be sure anything outside of our minds actually exists? That the world outside of our thoughts is a reality? We can't, we just accept that it probably is real. I also accept that with the same degree of probability there is no god or gods.

Evidence for evolution. Well, the evidence for the fact of evolution is overwhelming. Here's one... The earth's rotation slows down by 2 seconds every 100,000 years. We can predict then that 380 million years ago each year would have been about 396 days and each day about 22 hours. Coral fossils from ground that has been radio-metrically dated to 380 million years back confirm, by daily growth rings and yearly growth rings, that the year was in fact 400 days long and each day in fact 21.9 hours long. All close enough to confirm that our dating systems, regarding the age of the earth, are valid.

The radiometric system agrees with the tidal drag theory's calculations. No creationist can argue against that without committing a fallacy.

Now, the Cambrian dates back from 543 million years ago - worms, sponges, jelly fish then along toward up to 250 million years ago we had Jawed fish and land plants, tetrapods, reptile's and finally mammals. Then birds with mammals through the Jurassic. Finally, very very recently, humans branch from other primates.

With the entire course of evolution pressed into a single year - the earliest bacteria appeared in march and the humans at 6am on December 31st. The Golden age of Greece just 30 seconds before midnight. Now, where was the worship of God at 6am on December 31st and why does the bible fail hopelessly anachronistically?

Do you want to know why evolution is a fully fledged theory on equal standing to the theory of gravity or the theory of ohms law? Look up the predictions made regarding intermediate species between Acanthostega Gunnari and Eustenopteron Foordi from 365 and 385 million years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    If one does not believe that God exists then the miraculous would be absurd. But, if there is a creator who designed and brought the universe into being, who sustains its existence, who is responsible for the very natural laws that govern the physical world, then it is rational to believe that the miraculous is possible!

A God who creates the universe out of nothing would have no difficulty causing a virgin birth or raising the dead in order to make a point.
    Your almighty God has a concentration camp where he sends non-conformists, just like Big Brother. And just like Big Brother, he says he loves us, cares for us. But in the end, if you fail to conform despite "conditioning", you will be cast in to Hell to be tortured for all of eternity.

The issue with God is not one of whether or not he exists. It is whether or not the Utopian philosophy he provides is palatable.

Tell you what; if God decides to wipe us out via flood again right at this moment or very soon, I'll be sure to remind my precious 5 year-old niece that God loves her... as she slips beneath the waves choking and gasping for life-giving oxygen.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    If one does not believe that God exists then the miraculous would be absurd.
    Problem is there has only so far been evidence of extraordinary events. There are no known instances of miracles. No evidence of miracles.

A God who creates the universe out of nothing would have no difficulty causing a virgin birth or raising the dead in order to make a point.
    There is no evidence that any of the many claimed virgin births ever took place. Who, anyway, were the virginity inspectors - what were their credentials? There is no evidence that anyone ever rose from the dead in any miraculous fashion.

Babble. Pure babble.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc O'Brien View Post
    I am an atheist precisely because I consider the evidence available to me is conclusive in terms of probabilities per Bertrand Russel's philosophies (mathematician/philosopher).
    Man would rather die than think. In fact, he does so.

-Bertrand Russell
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Well hell boys, you didn't leave me so much as a scrap to chew on.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Well hell boys, you didn't leave me so much as a scrap to chew on.
    that happens when dog shows up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12