Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Health insurance to be like car insurance" -Obama

ok let's do a quick re-cap of the history of car insurance.

a bunch college boys from Skull & Bones, the Wolf's Head Society, and other gay greek fraternities got together and said "we don't want to be just rich, we want to be STINKING rich" so they started up an automobile insurance company, and tried to sucker people in by claiming to pay for damages.

the only people who signed up for this crap was people who had money falling out their ass.

so then our super hero politicians, looking out for the public, said "oh no no no, auto insurance is MANDATORY!!!"

so now the auto insurance companies hit the jackpot and the politicians get their kickbacks.

...so the public has expressed repeatedly that we are sick of illegals coming over here, ...pleas go ignored by the "democratic" government.

...so the illegals come over here and take a driver's test a four year old could pass,...the DMV passes them anyways... they start downing their tequila ...crashing into crap and each other all over the place..and YOU pay the bill.

then, the government gives some foreigner money to start a plumbing business, ...he hires the cheapest labor person he can find, ...the plumber is driving and gets into an argument with his grandfather in Laos, ...smashes into the back of someone ...and by the time the lawyers get their cut it's a multi-million dollar lawsuit ...and YOU pay the bill.

Obama says there will be competition.
    there's no competition!
    State Farm, Geico, and AAA get together, form an insurance committee and determine that they will all agree to charge a minimum for liability insurance so the idiotic public has to pay through the nose no matter where they go.

...so now, not only are the insurance company owners rolling in cash, ...some of the richest people in the country.., but they have so much extra profit that they have employed thousands of people with good jobs. ...and YOU pay for it.

...then they take some of that extra cash you gave them and hire lawyers to think of clever ways to deny your claim when you get into an accident. ...and you've already given them enough money to buy another car.

people like me who have been driving for 20 years without a single claim have been paying all this money FOR WHAT?

there's your new healthcare bill.
    ...and people are already buying stock in healthcare providers because they know participation will be MANDATORY!

Well, that's horsecrap. Each of us negotiates and buys our own health insurance.

That's the way health insurance should be though.

That is as asinine as as anything I ever heard, if said. Quote was not sourced.

wife and I were talking the same subject matter(she is an insurance agent).

both healthcare and auto insurance should be what is called no fault, or you buy coverage for yourself.
    if someone does not want to participate, that's fine. HOWEVER, you are still financially responsible for yourself(car, property, medical bills).
    like auto insurance, prior issues DO determine your cost.
    tickets cause rates to increase due to you being a higher risk, the same goes for heath insurance.
    rates should be similar in nature to those for life insurance- age, health, time of coverage, and length with carrier/insured determine cost.

this was thrown together on the fly and not fully thought out so there are probably flaws, but something along these lines are my current thoughts.

Great post wolfstrike, as for you point, but I did not like the delivery much.

Link;

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=3965

car insurance and health insurance are as different as night and day, and trying to pass it off as such is a liars den of trickery.

#1, car insurance can be 'liability only' which is a he11 of a lot different animal than 'full coverage'. Liability is a foolish concept in health insurance.

#2, driving is a privilege, not a right. Is living to be considered a privileged pastime to require insurance? I can stop driving.

#3, I do not have to subsidize auto insurance for those who cannot afford it. That is not my problem, unlike universal insurance for health care.

#4, uninsured motorists do not have any coverage, but our emergency rooms do give uninsured care as needed. Law.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Well, that's horsecrap. Each of us negotiates and buys our own health insurance.

That's the way health insurance should be though.
    This is the way it should be.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Cool socialized medicine already here

It's called Indigent Care. No doctor of skilled care facility may turn away anyone, regardless of ability to pay, for emergency care. Most never pay their bills. The municipality and State reimburse some funds through local taxes.

I have a system I'm working on:
    an individual pays into a Medical Savings Acct. or MSA $250/month or $3K/yr. Let's say he incurs an average of $1K per yr in total medical bills including doctor's office, Rx, and tests. After 5 yrs, he still has $10K in the acct. and has paid in a total of $15K. Then his premium drops 50% if he remained healthy as defined by no major medical claims. After 10 yrs, he has paid in a total of $23K and still has $13.5K in his acct. after paying out $10K in medical bills.

A family of up to 5 total (3 kids) has a premium of $500/month or $6K/yr. less an average of $3K/ yr in actual medical costs. After 5 yrs, they have put $30K into the Acct. and still have $15K left in it. Then their premium drops 50% if no major medical expenses so their 10 yr. total out of pocket is $54K with $24K still in the acct.

Note, this does not count interest accrued on the acct. balances. Now, if these same individuals were paying insurance premiums, they would probably start at $750/ month/ $9K per yr. or $90K out of pocket over 10 yrs PLUS all the co-payments, deductibles, and charges not covered so about $100K but they only have a cash balance of $0 to show for it.
    Let's say a family's insurance premium is $1,000/month x 12+$12K/yr x 10 yrs + $120,000 over 10 yrs PLUS the co-pays, deductibles and charges.

Now, that's about $50K more to put back into the economy. That means more consumer goods on which you pay sales tax, which boosts the economy. Otherwise, the $50K goes to the insurance company where they invest it to appreciate in value but don't pay taxes on it so it does nothing to help the economy.

Now, big families defined as more than 3 kids have to pay an additional $100/ month per kid. The provides an incentive to slow the population explosion.

Now, what this does not take into account would be insurance for major medical defined as over $25K. That should carry a premium of about the same amounts as our model uses for the MSA's. Still, that's a lot less out of pocket plus you end up with money in the bank drawing interest that you don't pay taxes on and the bank has to lend to grow businesses.

You could get fancy with an Ellwood analysis of the time value of money to see how it would play out in actual terms but you get the gist of it.

Health insurance is a massive ripoff.

He shot himself in the foot by not using medical malpractice reform to draw in the Republicans. He made it clear by his language that it's not a priority with him. So they can try to muscle it through with their supermajority.

He did compare it to car insurance when he brought up the "requirement" for everybody to get some.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Great post wolfstrike, as for you point, but I did not like the delivery much.
    i get that a lot

car insurance and health insurance are as different as night and day, and trying to pass it off as such is a liars den of trickery.

that's what your boy Obama said today.

#1, car insurance can be 'liability only' which is a he11 of a lot different animal than 'full coverage'. Liability is a foolish concept in health insurance.
    the government , like always, will think of a way of charging people different prices.

if this becomes a payroll tax, which i think is going to happen, ...which is probably the ONLY way this can happen,
    then , the more you make the more you pay,
    ...with of course, the Social Security type max-out at 80K or what ever.

...and the illegals won't have to pay crap.

#2, driving is a privilege, not a right. Is living to be considered a privileged pastime to require insurance? I can stop driving.
    driving is a privilege...or so the government has managed to convince everyone...
    Obama says that EVERYONE will be covered, which means you will not be able to stop participating unless you are jobless.

#3, I do not have to subsidize auto insurance for those who cannot afford it. That is not my problem, unlike universal insurance for health care.
    your little insurance contribution pays for EVERYONE who drives, PLUS, the uninsured motorist accidents.
    ...and nice houses ...and college tuition for the owners.

the only way you are not on this system is if you don't drive

#4, uninsured motorists do not have any coverage, but our emergency rooms do give uninsured care as needed. Law.

uninsured motorist accidents are covered by insurance companies, they collect the money through regular fee hikes.

the stories of uninsured motorists are exaggerated, in California the fine for driving without insurace is over $1500.

in California we have hospitals run by UCLA where anyone can get medical treatment and then ingore the bill.
    ...so everyone is covered anyways.

Government Option =

In our part of the world we have things called hurricanes. They come every once in a while and blow things apart and push a lot of water around. insurance companies lost a lot of money awhile back so the government said we will supply government run flood insurance. The insurance companies then said great, we now don't write that money loosing insurance anymore, go buy it from the government.

More hurricanes came and bloew things apart and the insurance companies cried that they were loosing money on "wind" insurance. They raise the prices to where it is very hard to afford this coverage (and all mortgage companies require it). The government said we will help you out and develop a "wind pool" insurance to help the poor people who can't afford the high priced insurance.

The next hurricane came, blew everything apart and the insurance companies (who most were paying the premiums with no claims for years) cried that they were loosing money. So they decided to NOT write those bad wind policies anymore and all their clients had to be moved to the government "wind pool".

And that brothers and sisters that is why our insurance premiums has increased three fold in less that 5 years.

Now, you think the government can decrease your HEALTH insurance premiums!
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Great analogy (behappy)

I knew what could possibly happen if Obama was elected, but it is worse than I expected.
    Now that he is in office, I am ready to find greener grass.
    I love this country, and want to keep it at its best, but liberals want change and that change is worse than what we had.
    I don’t understand what they have against TRADITIONAL values and prosperity.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Most health care costs happen in the last days of someones life. once they die, they can't pay the bill. Insurance is somewhat of a guarantee that doctors and hospitals get paid and heirs are not left homeless
    the need for soylent green becomes more drastic as the population increases

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast