Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 25
  1. #1

    evidence that the worst recession since the 1930s is over

    In the survey released Wednesday, all but one of the Fed's 12 regions indicated that economic activity was "stable," showed "signs of stabilization" or had "firmed."

    And with out any trickle down.


    The one exception was the St. Louis region, which continued to report that the pace of decline in economic activity appeared to be "moderating."

    Is this why Missouri is the show me state because they are a little slow?



    Looking ahead, businesses in most Fed regions said they were "cautiously positive" about the economic outlook.

    This is why the headline says "Fed survey shows US recession may be over"

    may being the key word.


    In Wednesday's survey, the Dallas region indicated that economic activity had "firmed." The Fed regions of Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Richmond and San Francisco mentioned "signs of improvement." The Atlanta, Chicago, Kansas City, Minneapolis and New York regions described activity as "stable or showing signs of stabilization."

    Sounds pretty good.


    The nation's unemployment rate climbed to a 26-year high of 9.7 percent in August.

    So unemployment has not been this bad since 1983, hmmmm more then two years after ronnie became prez?

    The Fed's survey found that staffing firms in Atlanta, Dallas, Richmond, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Boston, New York and Chicago did report a "slight pickup" in demand for temporary workers. That's an encouraging sign because employers will usually boost use of temp workers before they hire new employees.

    Another good sign.


    Over all the big picture it ain't lookin bad


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090909/..._ge/us_economy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,647
    I hope you're correct, but suspect you're wrong. My guess is things are going to get a much worse.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    well, one thing is for certain, Obama didn't have anything to do with it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dothan, Al
    Posts
    3,453
    AS Dave says, I hope that you are right...but I believe that it is not time YET for the recovery.
    I am waiting for the holiday season to get here & then we'll see if a recovery is in progress or are we going to go deeper.
    Summertime, which we are just out of, is always the strongest economic times, as people take vacations, etc... oil prices are up. More money is being made...but just like the cash-for-clunkers, I believe that it is just temporary.
    If people do not BUY for the holidays, like the economy needs them to, then we will go deeper into the recession.
    I hate to say it, but I don't believe that people are going to be purchasing that much again this year, putting more business in dire straits or out of business, & the recession will turn downward again...hopefully, just slightly, but fearfully maybe more.
    Ask again, come December 15th ( middle of month - most purchases made ).
    If we are truely heading out of the recession, it will show itself then.

    Until then,
    Richard

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    I bought new underwear last Christmas. I should be good for a couple more years, unless I decide to start using thongs and posting the pictures on the wall of fame

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    My thoughts are people will be cautious with their spending and try to get a little more out of the red. This will have the effect of slowing down any recovery but in the long term it is better for everyone. With more people being financially stable economic swings will not effect them as much which in turn will limit the size of economic swings.

    I would prefer more economic stability even if it costs a percentage of economic growth in the good times. Every time some news maker sneezes in another country sends oil bouncing up and down means that the money men squeezes more cash out of the rest of us.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,637
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethe ductman View Post
    In the survey released Wednesday, all but one of the Fed's 12 regions indicated that economic activity was "stable," showed "signs of stabilization" or had "firmed."

    And with out any trickle down.


    The one exception was the St. Louis region, which continued to report that the pace of decline in economic activity appeared to be "moderating."

    Is this why Missouri is the show me state because they are a little slow?


    Looking ahead, businesses in most Fed regions said they were "cautiously positive" about the economic outlook.

    This is why the headline says "Fed survey shows US recession may be over"

    may being the key word.

    In Wednesday's survey, the Dallas region indicated that economic activity had "firmed." The Fed regions of Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Richmond and San Francisco mentioned "signs of improvement." The Atlanta, Chicago, Kansas City, Minneapolis and New York regions described activity as "stable or showing signs of stabilization."

    Sounds pretty good.


    The nation's unemployment rate climbed to a 26-year high of 9.7 percent in August.

    So unemployment has not been this bad since 1983, hmmmm more then two years after ronnie became prez?

    The Fed's survey found that staffing firms in Atlanta, Dallas, Richmond, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Boston, New York and Chicago did report a "slight pickup" in demand for temporary workers. That's an encouraging sign because employers will usually boost use of temp workers before they hire new employees.

    Another good sign.


    Over all the big picture it ain't lookin bad


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090909/..._ge/us_economy
    That's BS mike. It won't come back under a socialist. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,540
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    well, one thing is for certain, Obama didn't have anything to do with it
    If the economy is coming back, and I think it's very premature to assume that; it will be in spite of our government, not because of.

    It's really very sad that so many people don't understand how capitalism works.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,540
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    That's BS mike. It won't come back under a socialist. Thank you very much.
    Actually Glenn, it probably will. But as I mentioned above, it will be due to the strength of the American system of capitalism, not because of Obama or anyone else in government.

    I do think they are slowing the recovery down though. Generally speaking, the best thing government can do for the economy is get out of the way.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    If the economy is coming back, and I think it's very premature to assume that; it will be in spite of our government, not because of.

    It's really very sad that so many people don't understand how capitalism works.
    Sure 8 months with out an American prez threatening to go to war with has nothing to do with it.

    And a watchful eye on big buss. to keep them in check has nothing to do with it.

    And a prez that has the people best interest as job one has nothing to do with it.


    Yes its cycles ain't it k?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Actually Glenn, it probably will. But as I mentioned above, it will be due to the strength of the American system of capitalism, not because of Obama or anyone else in government.

    I do think they are slowing the recovery down though. Generally speaking, the best thing government can do for the economy is get out of the way.
    Nothing to do with the European, Japanese, Chinese, Brazilian.... ...system of capitalism.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    people fail to realize we are not the only Game in town. after ww2 , when most of Europe and Asia was destroyed, the US filled a vacumm left by the Imperial Powers of France , Germany, England and Japan, well they are back with their friends BRIC. all in all I think we did an excellent job of rebuilding and keeping a somewhat peacefull planet.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    I bought new underwear last Christmas. I should be good for a couple more years, unless I decide to start using thongs and posting the pictures on the wall of fame
    Turn them inside out and use longer before washing that will help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event