+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this a good application for an insert?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Is this a good application for an insert?

First, great forum! Kudos to all who share their time and knowledge.

I have a 25 y/o masonry fireplace with the face brick removed. A Level II inspection with camera revealed the smoke chamber was not parged at construction. Current brick thickness at top of breast plate is approx. 4"- one brick thick. It thickens as you move up the smoke chamber (corbelling)to at least 9" thick at the top of the chamber.

Sweep recommends parging with a certain UL listed refractory mortar that allows combustable contact with 1.5" of product and 4" of brick (not sure if I can post product name.) This would bring the current masonry fireplace up to code and allow installation of sheetrock above the mantel (in lieu of the original floor to ceiling brick), but I'm still left with a drafty, inefficient fireplace.

Is a properly installed direct vent gas insert completely self contained? That is to say, do any fireplace gasses/ smoke fill the smoke chamber or flue?

How much heat do these units generate in the firebox/smoke chamber/flue? I'm looking at whether the heat generated from the insert could heat the brick on the inside enough to cause problems with combustables abovethe mantel. A retail hearth store told me the firebox of an insert is cool enough to touch- the flue is too hot to touch (though not hot enough to scorch), and the front is very hot, but the back, sides, and top do not conduct significant heat. Is this true?

If negligible heat is generated outside the box, and no gasses or smoke escape it would seem this is a good alternative to parging the smoke chamber.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    This is from a Heat & Glo manual

Heat & Glo gas inserts are designed for recessed installations into solid fuel masonry or factory built non-combustible fireplaces that have been installed in accordance with the National, Provincial, State and local building codes.

Prior to installing the gas insert:
    • Have the chimney and adjacent structure inspected and cleaned by quali
    fied professionals. Hearth & Home Technologies recommends that NFI or CSIA certified professionals, or technicians under the direction of certified professionals, conduct a minimum of a NFPA 211 Level 2 inspection of the chimney.

Does anyone actually follow this....? dunno.

Post Likes
    HTML Code:
    Does anyone actually follow this....?
    Well, I did Though, it wasn't actually in preparation for an insert.

Anyone know what type of heat is generated within the existing fireplace by a gas insert?

Is the retail store correct about the heat put out by a direct vent gas insert?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryFP View Post
    HTML Code:
    Does anyone actually follow this....?
    Well, I did Though, it wasn't actually in preparation for an insert.

Anyone know what type of heat is generated within the existing fireplace by a gas insert?

Is the retail store correct about the heat put out by a direct vent gas insert?
    How much heat did the retail store say it puts out?

Post Likes
    The inserts that I have installed put out almost as much heat as the regular direct vents. Customers were happy when I came back for maintenance.

Post Likes
    You would have to look at the installers manual to see what it says about the specific model that you are looking to install. Most have an air gap that seperates the inner firebox from the outer shell which greatly reduces the temperature of the outer shell.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in