Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

heating with wood.

Hi, anyone here heat with wood? I do, with a yutul wood stove. I have several fireplaces that I want to install stoves into too but that will be in the not too near future. Anyone with a wood boiler out there?

I burn a lot of wood outside during the winter because my family is very outdoorsy... I've seriously thought about installing a wood boiler and drop in coil to eliminate my need for natural gas. I don't have any fireplaces.

Its Jotul, BTW. with a slash through the o (if you want to be technical)

Ok... admins if you must delete this link then... whatever. Just trying to help a guy out with a good wood burner forums.

If you are looking to chat about wood fireplaces try here: http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/

Its mostly HVAC pros that hang out here, and a few gas fireplace guys.

I have been to hearth and spent many hours on arbitist site. That's my fav.
    Jd, I burn a lot outside too, because 1, it's there and 2, I like it. I have several stone rings and often fill them with enough wood to last a weekend. I even have a big old woodstove out in the yard, just for fun. The kids love camp fires and iget rid of the sticks from the lawn. It's win win.
    Anyway, I thought I could maybe get a decent thread started for the wood burners here. I have some pics I'll post, and always like to see others photos
    See y'all later

How much you pay for wood?
    1 Therm of energy can be had from approx. 0.71 gal of fuel oil, 100 cubic feet of natural gas, 1.1 gal of propane, 29 kwh of elec heat, 8.4 kwh of heat pump heat (COP = 3.5), 4.2 kwh of heat pump heat (COP = 6.9), 14 pounds of wood or sunlight falling (insolation) on 5 sq. meters of absorbent surface for one day in CA.

wood prices

I don't pay for it, I have tons of free wood. I enjoy splitting and stacking it. It's also a form of exercise. I know of guys in my area who sell it for $150-$250 a cord which is a4x4x8 foot stack roughly.
    I actually only supplement my fuel oil heat, but I'd say we us wood about 60-70% of the time. That number will go up when I decide our house into 2 zones. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewski View Post
    I don't pay for it, I have tons of free wood. I enjoy splitting and stacking it. It's also a form of exercise. I know of guys in my area who sell it for $150-$250 a cord which is a4x4x8 foot stack roughly.
    I actually only supplement my fuel oil heat, but I'd say we us wood about 60-70% of the time. That number will go up when I decide our house into 2 zones. I hope.
    So at 30#/ft³ and 3800#/cord they're paying 55 to 90¢ per therm, but the efficiency of a wood-burning 'thing' is probably pretty low.

I don't have the wood so I pay $49/mon to exercise, indoors, at a gym.

Felling trees is good fun when I get a chance to do it, but most of the books and videos I got on the subject begin with "in memory of. . .".

Yeah, if wood heat was as good as it gets, everyone would use it. As it is, people came up with much better, easier, efficient ways to heat. However, I know by some guys who swear by wood. Of course they have easy access to it.
    There are lots of folks on YouTube who could build a good arguement against against homeowners doing their own tree work.

I get free wood here. I split a cord or two per year and I enjoy it. I know there are much easier and efficient ways of heating, but cheap is cheap and free is free.

i burn up 3 cords a year, paid $500 for a cord of pinon and a cord of pine..

I have a pellet stove, wood insert and a whole house wood furnace.
    Better get a good humidifier
    I get my wood for free.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

i put a stainless steel pot of water on top of my stove..

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    a whole house wood furnace
    With ductwork, a fan, safety sensors & interlocks, auto-feed, etc.?

Personally, I prefer my 1 Therm of energy from 12 billionths of a pound of radioactive material decaying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast