Kept my kids home from school today. - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dna View Post
    This just in:

If you kept your children out of school because of a speech by a Democratic President, you are a total right wing nutjob. Please post what you found offensive.
    I thought about it due to the controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    7 times in one short paragraph, 8 if you count "my"
    I didn't write it. It was a cut and paste. What can I say? (Twice in three sentences)

From my point of view, it was a good speech to make on a national level.

He said the focus starts with your responsibility to yourself.
    Ayn Rand would be so proud.

He then moved the focus to how their participation in their own present-day education will affect this country.
    Who knew this guy was such a nationalist?

How about the perspective of someone who liked the speech as a one-timer by Mr. Obama, because that person doesn't send their children to government schools day after day. In that framework, I think the speech was good. But that's because we're already opted out of the daily grind of PC training...How about you?
    Do you tithe your children to the state?
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

wow, I think all of you should find another country to live in!!!We had a vote- a pretty fair one to I <opps> I said I <2> times- might add. at least we didn't have a recount in Fla. again. Who says the system is prefect never worked on A/c's designed by eng. HAHA- Like it or leave it we still have a damn good counrty to live in- talkin as one who has lived outside this country fighting for the right for you to bit$h

It seems overblown, don't it Papa Jo?
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    7 times in one short paragraph, 8 if you count "my"
    Good catch Carnak, It appears to be pretty hard to write without the use of those words.

I really feel sorry for some of your children, specifically those of you who are adamant about keeping them out of school because of a motivational speech. Heaven forbid they should hear a president try to keep them in school or encourage them to become something wonderful. You apparently want your kids to do just the opposite of what he is saying. Maybe you could hire the local drug dealer or a prostitute to give your kids a motivational speech about their future as junkies or losers; they might get more from it than from you.

For those of you who are counting, I was only used once. Those of you who are spelling gods, spell check wasn't used so you would have something to do. Punctuation and grammar gods you're in luck, have fun with it.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I didn't write it. It was a cut and paste. What can I say? (Twice in three sentences)
    It was clear that you cut and pasted something. The comment of seven times in a small paragraph was to point out that the arguement was lame.

The author of the preceeding sentence deliberately took time to avoid using pronouns that refered back to the author of the preceding sentence.

OR

I know that you cut and pasted it , I was just commenting on how it was a dumb to criticize a speach as being all about the person giving it when it is natural to do it from the first person. I think the self references in a speach pop up less when you speak of yourself in the third person like Julius Ceaser - unless of course you are deliberately blowing your own horn like Ceaser was famous for.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Do any of you that are in support of the speech understand that it's not just the speech but the D.O.E. including curriculum to correspond with it? The original materials dispersed by the D.O.E. included instructions to write a letter detailing how 'you' can help the President.
    That's what started the whole hoopla. In my own personal opinion, the children probably would be better off having that time to attend to their studies instead of listening to the President. A school district near our own didn't have the bandwidth to carry it live, they've requested copies that kids can check out or teachers can have in an optional setting.

Wouldn't the taxpayer's dollar have been better spent on a network (free over the air) address in conjunction with one of his other often national addresses that kids and parents could have viewed together (if it's something they chose to do)?

Just because you support something doesn't mean those that don't are 'nut jobs'. They just don't share your point of view.

(It's really not that hard to avoid the use of 'I' if you're not all hung up on yourself)
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Did any of you think that perhaps the counting of the usage of "I", "me", "my" etc. was harking back to the old ditty "There is NO "I" in TEAM"? If a figure such as the President of the United States is pushing things like support and team work, why is he such a first person type of fellow?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Do any of you that are in support of the speech understand that it's not just the speech but the D.O.E. including curriculum to correspond with it? The original materials dispersed by the D.O.E. included instructions to write a letter detailing how 'you' can help the President.
    That's what started the whole hoopla. In my own personal opinion, the children probably would be better off having that time to attend to their studies instead of listening to the President. A school district near our own didn't have the bandwidth to carry it live, they've requested copies that kids can check out or teachers can have in an optional setting.

Wouldn't the taxpayer's dollar have been better spent on a network (free over the air) address in conjunction with one of his other often national addresses that kids and parents could have viewed together (if it's something they chose to do)?

Just because you support something doesn't mean those that don't are 'nut jobs'. They just don't share your point of view.

(It's really not that hard to avoid the use of 'I' if you're not all hung up on yourself)
    that was pretty good, you only refered directly to yourself once

Is it okay to say something like "When I was a student I wanted to be on the varsity basketball team but I should of really focused on trying harder in the classes, especially the ones that I did not like." In that context there should be four mulligans granted.

Mrs reb have you ever told your niece "When I was a little girl" or "When I first met your uncle........." or tell a young person "When I was your age........." ?

Now that is just paraphrasing comments I gleaned from online articles, in my own personal recollection the title of the article was something to do with Laura Bush's view of the speech
    Last edited by Carnak; 09-09-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

FRICKING AMAZING! What will you conservatives find next to hate Obama about? He was elected fair and square, unlike your wonderboy George W. The president's speech to school students has been done by every president for decades...so get over yourselves! I'm ashamed to have to share this country with such a load of backwards rednecks. Your kids are going to be as full of self-serving hatred as yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mark g View Post
    FRICKING AMAZING! What will you conservatives find next to hate Obama about? He was elected fair and square, unlike your wonderboy George W. The president's speech to school students has been done by every president for decades...so get over yourselves! I'm ashamed to have to share this country with such a load of backwards rednecks. Your kids are going to be as full of self-serving hatred as yourselves.
    OK then
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FRICKING AMAZING! What will you conservatives find next to hate Obama about?

God only knows. But I'm sure BO will come up with some more crap.

He was elected fair and square, unlike your wonderboy George W.

And we, as a nation, should be ashamed of ourselves for having elected him.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast