Wood Burning Fireplace Inserts (brands)

What are the best brands out there? I plan on installing one on each side of the house as we have two open fireplaces currently.

I'm looking for efficiency, but have no gas on the street. Besides, I prefer the rustic ways of wood burning.

My plans are eventually to have these things burning while running the fan on my airhandler to spread the heat evenly. While we're not at home the oil heat will kick in with a prog. thermostat.

Go to just about any fireplace dealer and whatever brand they have should be good. What its going to come down to is the look and the price. Also finding a dealer you are comfortable working with.

Go here and check out the Blaze King Princes Insert. It is one of, if not the most efficient one on the market. Well built too.

http://www.blazeking.com/ This is the manufacturers website, not mine.

Then shop around for the best price on the Blaze King (or Napoleon) and contact me off line for even a better price. I'll beat anyone's legitmate price on a Blaze King (or Napoleon).
    “Your biggest risk is not taking one..."

Quote Originally Posted by mdelliott View Post
    What are the best brands out there? I plan on installing one on each side of the house as we have two open fireplaces currently.

I'm looking for efficiency, but have no gas on the street. Besides, I prefer the rustic ways of wood burning.

My plans are eventually to have these things burning while running the fan on my airhandler to spread the heat evenly. While we're not at home the oil heat will kick in with a prog. thermostat.
    Lopi and Quadrafire
    Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then.

catalytic or non-catalytic?

what are your opinions on the two, guys?

I found the avalon "prefect fit" to be the most visually appealing catalytic type. It boasts 83.5% efficiencies. This is the only one that I've found to match the efficiency of the blaze king insert that was posted in this thread. I just find the avalon one to be more appealing visually. Seeing as it is an important visual part of the room, I'd like to keep it looking nice.

There are a lot to choose from that are non-catalytic & depending on price range I might end up going this route. My guess is that it is like any other heating equipment... the higher the efficiency, the higher the dollar amount, right?

Look at lopistoves.com and quadrafire.com. I have a lopi freedom installed in my basement. It is by far the thickest stove that i could find. Quadrafire also makes nice stoves. I almost bought a quad but because of the btu rating i went with the lopi. I would go with a non-cat. Easyier to operate. no combuster to replace and my lopi advertises up to 78% eff and 10hr burn times. Quadrafire also has very eff units without a combuster.

Quote Originally Posted by subway View Post
    Look at lopistoves.com and quadrafire.com. I have a lopi freedom installed in my basement. It is by far the thickest stove that i could find. Quadrafire also makes nice stoves. I almost bought a quad but because of the btu rating i went with the lopi. I would go with a non-cat. Easyier to operate. no combuster to replace and my lopi advertises up to 78% eff and 10hr burn times. Quadrafire also has very eff units without a combuster.
    i'm lookin'.

seeing as you bought one, what's the price range?

I just asked a avalon dealer about the "perfect fit" & they told me $3,500. That's absurd! I haven't price shopped it yet, perhaps they misunderstood & gave the the price to install it? The price came via email & I specifically told them that I'd have it installed myself, but you never know.

I was expecting a little under $2,000 for a price. Geez.

The Avalon looks like a nice unit. I paid around $4,000 for my Lopi Freedom. That was for the stove insert, 25 foot SS chimney liner, blower assembly, and the install. I think you'll find, unfortunitly, that inserts are quite a bit more expensive than free standing stoves. I also priced Quad and that quote came in about the same as the Lopi. I chose the Freedom because it can be installed to stick out of the hearth 10 inches. (that was the look that we wanted) You may want flush mount, i don't know. Check out quad, they have a nice insert, i forget the model, that has a bay style front door with three pieces of glass for a better look. I almost bought one. Whatever you do don't buy junk, you won't be happy and it just won't last. I've been there with a freestanding stove. Keep me updated.

Talking

That Quadrafire model is the 3100i. Also, the stove i bought qualifies for the 30% energy tax credit.

Cool level II inspection

You need a Level II inspection first. If you have factory built fireplaces, you cannot install a woodburning insert stove into them regardless. If you have masonry fireplaces, the level II will advise on the suitability for a stove, any repairs needed and increased shielding for the stove such as floor or mantel shields.

Almost all listed EPA Certified stoves are good. CATs burn very well to start with but depending upon homeowner use and maint. can clog up or ruin the cat and they cost a few bucks to replace. I prefer non-cats such as the Quad if you can get them. Also, when other companies are going belly up or being bought out, HHT is on a cash basis and is the one buying up others (Harman) and paying cash. This means they will survive this market and be around.

Whomever installs you stove will need to use a listed stainless steel liner installed to the listing for a 'zero clearance' meaning the full insulation required.
    HTH,
    Hearthman