Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 21 of 21

Thread: compressors

  1. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south KC, MO
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Not all of it, only a very small amount.
    that was my thought I was just making sure. I just have never heard of checking oil in a hermetic. I just thought they ran until they were bad then you change it. Or replace the unit most likely.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,426
    I have never done it.

    Some larger tin cans have sightglasses to monitor oil level.

    Don't get your heart set on too many replaced units. If the customer just replaced everything that broke, you'd be out a job.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    17,928
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I have never done it.

    Some larger tin cans have sightglasses to monitor oil level.

    Don't get your heart set on too many replaced units. If the customer just replaced everything that broke, you'd be out a job.
    I disagree. If I do the replacing, I'm working! And there are so many customers, work would back up if everyone approved my quotes!

    I also only see sight glasses for oil on the larger hermetics.

    Is there a reason you (original poster) are asking this question?
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  4. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,426
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I disagree. If I do the replacing, I'm working! And there are so many customers, work would back up if everyone approved my quotes!

    I also only see sight glasses for oil on the larger hermetics.

    Is there a reason you (original poster) are asking this question?
    Never thought of it that way.

    Most of what I see with tin cans are small display and storage cases. Lots of fix work, but when it's time for replacement, no work for me.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    17,928
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Never thought of it that way.

    Most of what I see with tin cans are small display and storage cases. Lots of fix work, but when it's time for replacement, no work for me.
    For me, it's 5 to 15 ton splits, and RTU's up to about 25 tons.

    Compressors? Lot's of em. Two last week alone.

    I know what you mean about the display cases. Unless the store has a change-out arrangement where they just cart in a different case, we usually replace the entire condensing unit. Once, I replaced a capillary tube. Other stores just send them to a warehouse and send out one that works.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  6. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Southeast MIssouri
    Posts
    64
    I have drilled and tapped an oil port in the side of a tin can, near the bottom, to drain and change oil.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Muskegon, Mi.
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Royster88 View Post
    How do you check the oil level in a welded hermetic compressor?
    Use your dipstick, Jimmy.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south KC, MO
    Posts
    67
    and snap into a slim jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event