Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidifier for 1800 sq ft home with high ceiling

Post Likes
    You use the dehumidistat in the winter only do not use it in the summer.

Set it as high as your windows will allow in the winter. In NW Ontario I would tell people to try 35% once it got below freezing, if their windows stayed clear to bump it up. If the windows were sweating lower the setting until it stopped.

The better the window, the warmer the surface temperature of the inside glass and the FRAMES. The warmer the surfaces the higher the RH you can maintain without sweating.

The colder it gets outside, the colder the inside of the windows will be.

That dehumidistat should over ride the HRV to high speed even if you have the fan speed set to zero, but it sounds like either the dehumidistat is built into the wall control or someone has to wire an independent dehumidistat to the unit to do this. Call a liebreathe dealer

If the windows are good, then maybe you can keep 40% without a problem
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Carnak, I have a very silly question. How do you turn off the dehumidistat in the summer? The dehumidistat mounted on the main floor does not have a on/off switch. Is there another one hidden around HRV?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Moon View Post
    The dehumidistat mounted on the main floor does not have a on/off switch. Is there another one hidden around HRV?
    The dehumidistat should have an on/off switch, atleast the ones I have seen. Sorry if that is not a help, curious what Carnak says. I know the HRV shuts off the dehumidistat when it is no longer needed but most have a seperate on/off switch.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Moon View Post
    Carnak, I have a very silly question. How do you turn off the dehumidistat in the summer? The dehumidistat mounted on the main floor does not have a on/off switch. Is there another one hidden around HRV?
    set it to 80% RH or disable the function on the controller
    Last edited by Carnak; 09-11-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Post Likes
    The HRV dries out your house. Now you are putting in something to fight off the HRV and humidify the house.

I am suggesting that you stop overdrying your house. And to sound like a scratched record, when it gets cold out and assuming your new humidifier can over power the drying effect of the HRV, that your windows will start dripping profusely if you maintain 50% RH in cold weather.

40% RH is more realisic, its not going to crack your skin or a piano, and it will not ruin your window sills and cause mold

the horse has been to the watering hole several times now, still seems like it is not thirsty.

Post Likes

Question Green indicated light on Aprilaire 600A humidifier

I have an Aprilaire 600A. Is the "humidifier on" indicator light supposed to be lighted up all the time (green/yellow/red)? Is the water flow through or drain off only when the furnace kicks in? My "humidifier on" indicator is not light up and there is no water drain off. I wonder why.

Post Likes
    It's not working - have someone look at it - could solve all your problems.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Is the green light supposed to be on at all time? This unit was installed last week. I just don't know what are considered normal or not.

Post Likes
    If its powered off the blower. It will only be on when the blower is on.

Post Likes
    beenthere, that means that there is nothing wrong with the humidifier. Is that meant that no water drain off if the blower/furnace is not on?

Post Likes
    If it only runs when the blower/heat is on. That will be the only time that water drains.

Post Likes
    Thank you, guys. There were so many articles saying that the flow-through system wasted lots of water. That's why I always thought that the water would flow through all the time.

Post Likes
    No problem.

Post Likes
    I observed the humidifier for at least an hour. I noticed that even the furnace kicked in, the dehumidifier ramped the reading from 30 to 38%, the "humidifier on" indicator was still not light up and I did not see water coming out from the unit. I will call the installer to come back tomorrow for the 2nd time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in