Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Humidifier for 1800 sq ft home with high ceiling

Hi,

I am looking for a whole house humidifier for a 1800 sq ft home with high ceiling. I was introduced to Aprilaire 400, 500, 600 and Honeywell steam humidifiers. I read many reviews and realized that they all have many pros and cons. Which is the one will do the job, bring humidity between 42 to 50% and will not produce the white dust? One of my kids has eczema. There are piano and hard wood floor need to be protected too.

Thank you!

Depends on yoour water condition.

Your local contractor should know your local water conditions.

Moved this to residential, you should get more responses there.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Kris

First off it would benefit anyone with an opinion on this subject
    to know where you live, as in what city and state

It would be helpful to know

I deleted your other thread you made on this same topic.

Do not make duplicate threads. Even if you change the title.
    Many are away for the holiday weekend. So you may not get many replies until tomorrow.
    Contractor locator map

where do you live? the aprilaire systems are based on sizing of the house basically. for example the 400 series will do up to a 4,000 sqft but the 500 series is for 3,000 sqft supposedly according to manufacturer. Do you have a pretty open floor plan? Basement? Where is the piano, first floor? Aprilaire, in my humble opinion is a decent residential system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Moon View Post
    Hi,

I am looking for a whole house humidifier for a 1800 sq ft home with high ceiling. I was introduced to Aprilaire 400, 500, 600 and Honeywell steam humidifiers. I read many reviews and realized that they all have many pros and cons. Which is the one will do the job, bring humidity between 42 to 50% and will not produce the white dust? One of my kids has eczema. There are piano and hard wood floor need to be protected too.

Thank you!
    I use Nortec steam humidifiers. They are more expensive but require less maintenance. Unlike Aprilaire, they operate independent of the heating cycle which is very important. If you have hydronic heat you will need a blower. If you contact Nortec they will give you a list of qualified contractors in your area. Also, when using a high grade unit, you need to learn how to set your humidistat (indoor controller) based on outside air temperature. It's very important.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by yankee fan View Post
    I use Nortec steam humidifiers. They are more expensive but require less maintenance. Unlike Aprilaire, they operate independent of the heating cycle which is very important. If you have hydronic heat you will need a blower. If you contact Nortec they will give you a list of qualified contractors in your area. Also, when using a high grade unit, you need to learn how to set your humidistat (indoor controller) based on outside air temperature. It's very important.

good luck
    EWC Autoflo steam humidifiers, have an outdoor sensor, so they readjust for outdoor temp automatically.
    Contractor locator map

I live in Ontario, Canada. I have a very open floor plan.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    EWC Autoflo steam humidifiers, have an outdoor sensor, so they readjust for outdoor temp automatically.
    true, the automatic adjustment leaves you with a lot less headaches.

50% RH in the winter is going to ruin your window sills in Ontario, you will need good quality windows to be able to keep 40%
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

The house is only 10-year old. Good quality windows were installed then (according to the builder). One of the contractors told me that the piano needed 50% humidity. He recommended Honeywell steam humidifier. When I asked him about Aprilaire 600, he said that my money would be flushed down to the drain. Flow through would not do the job. I started to doubt that the information provided by him was not accurate.

The Aprilaire works fine.
    Hooked to the hot water line. The Aprilaire does a better job yet.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Moon View Post
    The house is only 10-year old. Good quality windows were installed then (according to the builder). One of the contractors told me that the piano needed 50% humidity. He recommended Honeywell steam humidifier. When I asked him about Aprilaire 600, he said that my money would be flushed down to the drain. Flow through would not do the job. I started to doubt that the information provided by him was not accurate.
    Do you have an HRV or an air exchanger in the home? A fresh air intake on the return?

You keep over 40% those windows will start sweating when it gets cold
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast