Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Punks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,229

    Punks

    We got some kids that need an a$$ kicking around my apartment complex. Got up from my nap today I noticed the fan was running on the furnace when I got up and went about my business. About a half hour later I walked under a vent and noticed it wasn't cool and the A/C was still calling so I went out to the condenser and someone pulled the disconnect blade out of the condensing unit. I then checked the other units next to mine, all gone. I looked all over the area and couldn't find what the little punks did with them. So by the time I got done searching my apartment was up to 78 so I went out to the truck and got some 10 GA wire. I would like to see the little punks try and unhook me now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567

  3. #3
    Nice idea...but sadly, you're the one who will fry if anything happens to the little nippers. Thankfully, my property has breakers---which they turn off with disturbing regularity.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    Nice idea...but sadly, you're the one who will fry if anything happens to the little nippers. Thankfully, my property has breakers---which they turn off with disturbing regularity.
    Only if you get caught.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,229
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Sounds like it's time for you to buy some cammies and a paintball gun.
    That would have been a blast in my younger days, just like bivouac in basic training. Na I just unhooked the ground from the unit and tied one hot line to the ground lug, just got to make sure my dog stays away from from the unit....lol...just kidding I wish I could though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,506
    Kid's now day's need their a$$ kicked. I would have never done such a thing when I was a kid.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    Kid's now day's need their a$$ kicked. I would have never done such a thing when I was a kid.
    I remember when I was little, my dad said something to me that I am just beginning to understand now.

    "I hope that you get away with half of the stuff I did when I was a kid."

    I hope the same for my kids.

    Eventually, there will be no fun left to have...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Charm City--the city that bleeds
    Posts
    2,790
    Time is still on your side though. There will come a day when those punks would like to have a minute and the next generation(after them) will interrupt it also.
    It comes around and goes around too.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,752
    Well, I would report this to complex maintenance staff and demand that they lock the disconnects. I would explain that if these kids are able to get into the box to pull the fuses they are also able to easily contact line voltage....

    wet grass....rainy day.....reaching into a hot disconnect.

    Id explain the tragedy that could happen.

    I would probably also notify them in writing....and send a copy to the apartment manager

    Maybe even write a letter to the local letters to the editor part of the paper.

    Ive found the letters to the editor section of the paper to be an effective tool in getting action on problems I have had in the past.

    Im also quite fond of kerosene and matches but thats another story.

    ~:>

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fern Creek , Kentucky
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Well, I would report this to complex maintenance staff and demand that they lock the disconnects. I would explain that if these kids are able to get into the box to pull the fuses they are also able to easily contact line voltage....

    wet grass....rainy day.....reaching into a hot disconnect.

    Id explain the tragedy that could happen.

    I would probably also notify them in writing....and send a copy to the apartment manager

    Maybe even write a letter to the local letters to the editor part of the paper.

    Ive found the letters to the editor section of the paper to be an effective tool in getting action on problems I have had in the past.

    Im also quite fond of kerosene and matches but thats another story.

    ~:>
    Your dead on, I believe locks should be national code. But you no how that goes, I can't find the key!!! Maybe a universal lock we can get at parts house,I believe I seen something like that somewhere, like those screws you can't take out without that special driver. We always take #8 wire wrap so tight you can't get off without a pair of linemans pliers.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc.
    Posts
    780
    Just a simple tie wrap would dissuade some kids.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,397
    Got a call to a supermarket monday night. Everything melting. got there and found the disconnects off on the rooftop condenser fans and all the compressors cycling on their high pressure cut outs. Except for one compressor, who's HPCO had failed in the on position and and caused the relief valve to dump 75 lbs. of r-404.

    Apparently someone had left a ladder up to the roof (strip mall) and some punks got up there and were spray-painting graffiti on the roof. They must have thought the condensers were too noisy so they turned them off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event