Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 45

Thread: Options

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,647

    Options

    It's been pointed out in another thread that all these ARP threads devolve into childish name calling.

    I agree.

    Currently in our country we are at potentially critical crossroads. An ever increasing number of Americans feel we are being steered a course that can only lead to widespread poverty.

    What is needed now is not name calling or finger pointing. What is needed now are viable options. Allowing insurance companies to compete across state lines is one very constructive suggestion I've heard.

    Another is the idea of cutting veterans a tax break. This would apply to any Honorably Discharged retiree, or disabled during active duty, or medaled at certain levels. Tax free. For life. Yes, I'm a vet, but no I wouldn't qualify.

    There's some pretty sharp minds here, from the left and from the right. Let's stop the smack talking and start troubleshooting our ailing country.

    Options. We need options. Even the President's people don't truly beleive his plan will actually work. We need options.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,317
    Quote Originally Posted by engineerdave View Post
    It's been pointed out in another thread that all these ARP threads devolve into childish name calling.

    I agree.

    Currently in our country we are at potentially critical crossroads. An ever increasing number of Americans feel we are being steered a course that can only lead to widespread poverty.

    What is needed now is not name calling or finger pointing. What is needed now are viable options. Allowing insurance companies to compete across state lines is one very constructive suggestion I've heard.

    Another is the idea of cutting veterans a tax break. This would apply to any Honorably Discharged retiree, or disabled during active duty, or medaled at certain levels. Tax free. For life. Yes, I'm a vet, but no I wouldn't qualify.

    There's some pretty sharp minds here, from the left and from the right. Let's stop the smack talking and start troubleshooting our ailing country.

    Options. We need options. Even the President's people don't truly beleive his plan will actually work. We need options.
    Tax exemptions and tort reform has been suggested.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    4,356
    Abolish the US Dept. of Education. Return our schools back to local control.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    Abolish the US Dept. of Education. Return our schools back to local control.
    And you say we have a socialist country. Our education is under provincial (state) control and administered by local school divisions. Part of my property tax bill is a tax for education. If we do not like how the people are running the show we get rid of them (the trustees on the school boards get voted in).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    4,356
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    And you say we have a socialist country. Our education is under provincial (state) control and administered by local school divisions. Part of my property tax bill is a tax for education. If we do not like how the people are running the show we get rid of them (the trustees on the school boards get voted in).
    You can thank your American hero, Jimmy Carter for that one. And yes, he is a socialist. We booted his arse out and now he is building houses.

    Anyway, read the beginning post. Just options in this thread.

    Here's another. Arrest anyone who harbors and or hires illegal aliens. Put these shady contractors and farmers out of business. Big fines as well as prison time.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,786
    I have been advocating smaller government and commensurately lower taxes for a long time.

    Start with the Department of Education, but let's not stop there.

    The Constitution was and is an excellent document on how to prevent the government from becoming too large and powerful.

    Apparently, quite a few years ago, a large number of people STOPPED reading it.

    Before we try to rebuild America in the Socialist model, lets get back to Constitutional rule and see how THAT works for a couple of years.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,326
    This is waht I posted on the other thread, it is incomplete but I can flesh it out latter.

    You ask what the right would do, I will tell you what I think we should do briefly.
    • Keep private insurance and allow it to be sold across state lines and allow term medical insurance. You should be able to purchase a 10 or 20 or 30 year term and it should be portable.
    • Insurance should be sold only to individuals not to companies so we know exactly what it cost and what they pay.
    • Insurance companies should not be able to increase or deny a person because of a catastrophic illness.
    • Insurance should be a tax deduction under the current tax system and tax free if we could go to a consumption based tax
    • Taxes should be even and equally applied through a consumption based tax and food, and the necessities of life should be tax free.
    • Term Limits on all elected positions and the Supreme Court and no more than 20 years total elected service at all levels.
    • Elimination of any pension plans to any elected office except the president.
    • No bail outs or take over’s, if you cannot make it in business than you fail of file bankruptcy.
    • The most important thing is reduce and minimize the federal government involvement with states’ rights and take it back to only what the Constitution allows period. Gov. is much too cumbersome and breeds on itself which eats up a huge percentage of our financial resources.
    • Introduce tariffs that make it profitable for manufacturing to again exist in this country
    • Stringently enforce our existing immigration laws and remove all illegal aliens from our country and that means prosecuting those that have stolen or used social security numbers that were not theirs and then allow necessary documented workers back into the country.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    Insurance companies are the root of evil . abolish them first, see what happens and then abolish investment banking.
    next outlaw political parties. citizens unaffiliated with party politics should be running this country.

    next, stop lobbyists from buying politicians

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,785
    Cut down the amount of US postal offices and the number of days they work they are obsolete

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    N. E. Missouri
    Posts
    9,750
    My parents, who have no computer, will really thank you for that when they're looking for...their prescription??? Their...pension check...? Their...birthday card?

    Yeah, that's a great step forward.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,785
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    My parents, who have no computer, will really thank you for that when they're looking for...their prescription??? Their...pension check...? Their...birthday card?

    Yeah, that's a great step forward.
    And they need it on a saturday cant wait till monday.you guys say we spend too much send it by FEDEX they a better job. Oh and i almost forgot i could buy the stock

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Insurance companies are the root of evil . abolish them first, see what happens and then abolish investment banking.
    next outlaw political parties. citizens unaffiliated with party politics should be running this country.

    next, stop lobbyists from buying politicians
    10-4 on that .
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,785
    Set up conditions and limits as to what the medical profession can be sued for

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event