300 sqft attic -- 1.5 to 2 tons???

I'm finishing a space of ~300 sqft in the attic of my 1901 house with a 12/12 pitch slate roof in NE Kansas (Lawrence). I'll have expanding open cell foam blown in to insulate the entire roof, but with ~4 foot knee walls the finished space will be ~300 sqft including a 1/2 bath, 11 x 16 room and tower space.

I've asked for 2 bids and both are saying 1/5 to 2 ton system required. I think I'll use a Mitsubishi mini split. This seems like a big load calculation.

I know there is no substitute for a complete calculation, but I can tell that the people on this site have a lot of experience and I'd like to know if this sounds reasonable. Thanks for your help. The rest of the whole house is ~2300 sqft and 4 tons.

P.S. One more question: Should I insulate the knee walls? Space "behind" the knee walls and 3 gable ends will be unconditioned storage space.

I did a 300+ sq ft attic room for a friend. 1 ton with 5kw in the air handler. Did great. Bigger is not better. But the more you an insulated it the better!

If the rest of your home is insulated like you have your new attic space I would tap off your existing system, or split your existing sytem with say a 2 ton and then 2-1/2 respectively and forget about doing a 3rd system when you currently have 4 ton. although you don't say if the 4 ton is one compelte system of if it is already split amongist the 2300 sq ft. but it's another option for oyu to consider.

Main house has a 4 ton HP / furnace (American Standard variable speed gas furnace with 16 seer two stage heat pump) for ground and second floor. It is zoned. Unfortunately there is not a way to run a duct up to the attic that would be large enough to supply that space. I'm sure you are right that that would be the best option. As it is, adding a new unit seems to be the only way I can condition that attic space.

Is this attic space not above a conditioned living space already? If so there shouldn't be too much trouble getting say a 6" oval duck up and over from an adjadcent room or enlarge a duct from the space below to accommodate the attic. I would sooner tear out alittle drywall than install another piece of equipment especially for a mere 300 sq ft. But that's just me.

Did either do a Manual J load calc ? 1 1/2 to 2 sounds like a guess to me. 2 to 3 cfm per sq ft ? Thats alot in a residence.

Just a guess here but 9,000 to 12,000 mini split with the invertor compressor, providing you have on high wall to mount the evap on.
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later