Post Likes

Question Replacing a 25 yr-old System in a 3 Story Old Victorian

I am replacing a "single unit" ( 1 condensor - 1 furnace) 8 SEER and 55% efficient furnace. I have gotten multiple bids but would like some opinions.

House Information: Hardwood throughout, most walls are insulated. I also have a unconditioned basement. Located in St. Louis.

1-bid: 1 3-Ton 14 SEER condenser for the 1st and 2nd floor with a 75k BTU 92% Furnace. 1 3-Ton 14 SEER condenser for the 2nd and 3rd floor with a second 75k BTU 92% furnace. New duct work for 2nd and 3rd floor. All Equipment is Ducane

2-bid: 1 3-Ton 16 SEER condenser for the 1st and 2nd floor with a 90k BTU 95% Furnace. 1 3-Ton 13 SEER condenser for the 2nd and 3rd floor with a 15kW air handler. New duct work for 2nd and 3rd floor. All Equipment is Goodman.

All costs are the same and is not issue, Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Old, multi story, houses are very hard to heat and cool effectively. Doing the all the design math is essential.

Did either bidder do a room-by-room Manual J load calculation? Manual D duct sizing calculation? Manual S equipment sizing? If not, ditch the bids and keep looking for a contractor who's prepared to do the job right.

You're on the right track to install two systems. They just have to be sized properly.