Tankless CO readings

after replacing a leaking pipe adapter on a Navien cr-180 tankless unit today, i decided to take some CO readings at the termination. With the kitchen tap running only, I got a CO reading of 115 PPM. Firing rate was about, 110,000 btu's. My own Rinnai tankless unit with the bathroom tap running, produced 55PPM and firing at about 90, 000 Btu's. Should there be any concern regarding these readings, or are they fairly normal. Gas piping is all to code. Any areas to look over again??

Combustion Air

Open a window and run the test!

I have received many calls on Tankless water heaters backdrafting
    The quality of my performance, sometimes depends on the quality of my audience.
    Imitation (Plagiarism) is the best compliment one can get -- "Open A Window"

To improve Indoor Air Quality: Control Indoor Air QUANTITY = "I.A.Q.Q."

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post

i will try that, the navien unit was a two pipe system, bringing combustion air from outdoors. my own rinnai has a concentric vent system, again, bringing combustion air from outdoors

If everything is hooked up correctly how would CO be coming into the house? Where is it coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Phasewolf View Post
    If everything is hooked up correctly how would CO be coming into the house? Where is it coming from?
    i should be clear, all my readings were taken outside at the vent termination. there was no indoor co. But your right, if it was all properly installed, you shouldnt have Co in the home

readings to 150ppm are considered within spec. If you need documentation for NYSERDA, Honeywell, CSG or BPI standards contact me.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

You only took one set of readings.

There is no way to gauge the safety of that equipment with only one set of readings.
    You will need multiple readings over the entire run cycle to determine whether it's safe or not.

I would look long and hard at any readings over 100 PPM as read for a potential issue.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post

If this appliance was in the basement depending on the window location that he decided to open it could compound matters instead of improving them.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.